Chapter Twelve

It was a Saturday afternoon. It was just Luke, Jai, Beau and I at home. No Christi, no Aaron. Beau and I sat on the loungeroom floor trying to edit my portfolio, sorting all of the photos out. We sat there for half an hour trying to complete it. Beau got up."IMMA GO GYM" he said stretching. Jai joined him. "Ready to do some weights?" Jai smiled pushing Beau in the chest. "YEH BRO" he replied in his hulk impersonation voice. And with that, they left the house. I stayed on the floor, Luke was on the couch. I could feel his eyes glued to the back of my head. Someone had to be the bigger man. I got up and sat on the couch next to him. He smiled in his 'forgive me' way. I smiled back and then watched kept watching the TV. "Wanna grab some dinner? It's just gonna be us two tonight" he asked.
"Sure," I replied getting up. Luke tried to get up. I put both my hands out, he grabbed my hands and pulled himself up laughing. We got our jackets and headed out. We walked down Pascoe Vale road, Lukes arm around my waist. It wasn't long before I put my arm around his waist aswell. It was cold outside and Luke's body next to mine was warm. Once we had got our chinese food, we walked home and sat on a rug on the loungeroom floor, watching 'The House Bunny' I studied him. He was even perfect when he ate. "You okay?" he asked me.
"What happened with us?" I asked.
"I don't know." he lied.
"Christi?" I blurted out.
"Maybe, I mean it could be other things." he said.
"I'm not suggesting it. I'm stating it. I know what caused this." I told him. Luke looked at me. Confused? Hurt? Apologetic? "Sorry." I said. "I'm such a bitch, I should just keep my mouth closed."
"Its okay." he said. Well this was awkward.
"No. It isn't." I said trying not to giggle.
"You're bad." Luke laughed with me. There was a minute of silence. "Do you still love me?" Luke asked me seriously. I was speechless.
"Do you still love me?" I questioned him. Luke put his hand over mine and looked deep into my eyes. "I will always love you." Luke said. He leant in to kiss me, I turned my head away so that it got my cheek instead of my lips.
"Ruby, I do still love you." he almost begged. "But I have to sort stuff out with Christi first - she left me in a mess. She's a good person, thats why I can't seem to let her go."
"But she cheated on you?" I said. Luke looked down guiltily.
"Yeh, she did." he replied looking down. I could see he was hurt. I hugged him. "Could you do me a favour Rubes?" he asked.
"What is it?"
"Please get to know Chrsti more. For me? And us." he said placing his hand back on mine. I sniggered and looked down. How was I going to explain this?
"Luke, you know that Christi and I don't really get on as well as you would like us to?" I said.
"Ruby, she's nothing but nice to you. Whenever I see the rare affair of you and Christi talking, shes always sweet and complimentary. There's no need for jealously. Me and Christi its like you and Ryan. It's complicated."
I stared at Luke. Did he really just say that to me.
"If thats what you think then I dont think you know the real Christi." I said ripping my hand away from his. "You really have no clue what she puts me through."
Luke looked at me confused. "What do you mean?"
"BITCHESSS WE HOMEEE" Beau shouted. Jai came running in and went to the bathroom.
"Dibs shower first" Jai yelled locking the door.
"Little shit." Beau muttered as he walked in and sat on the couch. "Awh look at you two loveyy doveyys." he teased. I poked my tongue out and got up, walking into the kitchen. Luke took his beanie off and ran his fingers through his hair with a worried expression. I came back into the room and sat on the couch. Jai came into the room slipping on his t-shirt. He flopped on top of me on the couch. We both giggled. "Wow jeez, you could cut the tension in here with a knife" he said laughing. I cheekily gave him the evils. The funny thing was- you probably could.

I layed in my bed. Things still wern't right with Luke. My phone beeped. It was from Luke 'Things aren't going right with us right now are they?'
'No :(' I replied.
'I want things to be back to normal.'
'We'll work on it :)'
'I wish I could hold you like I did that morning when we first kissed.' he texted me. A tear rolled down my cheek.
'Luke, you are making me cry. Stop texting me.'
'wahhh don't cry'
'I'm going to sleep now.' I texted back and turned off my phone. I heard footsteps coming down the hall. Luke came into my room and climbed into my bed. He grabbed me softly around the waist and pulled me closer to him. I pretended to be asleep as he snuggled up to me, pressing his body against mine. "I know you're awake" he whispered to me. I smiled and felt his lips curl up smiling against the back of my head.

I woke up with Luke still holding me. Jai came in the room and wolf whistled, waking Luke up. He smiled and put his leg over mine, joking around. "you have a visitor" Jai told him and opened the door wider to reveal Christi standing there. Oh Shit.
"Am I missing something?" Christi asked.
"Uh no nothing. No." stuttered Luke, untangling himself from me.
"Well I though we were going out for coffee but I find you in bed with Ruby?" Christi spat
"We were just cuddling." Luke muttered getting up from the bed. "Lets go." he said flattening his shirt and walking out of the room with Christi latched onto him. Once he had left, Jai looked at me and shrugged. I reached over and turned my phone back on. There was a new text... from Ryan.
'I'm in Melbourne at the moment. Catch up today at 11? I'll be at Cino's waiting :)' he had written.
Why not? I thought. Things were good between us. I had to admit I was glad I was occupied today instead of sitting around bitching. I headed out of the house 40 minutes later. Luke was coming back home - Christi wasn't with him. "Where are you going?" he asked.
"Out with Ryan, Bye!" I said as I ran through the rain and into the car. I wasn't one for payback, but Luke was getting a taste of his own medicine.
'with Ryan?' Luke texted me.
'Yes Luke, with Ryan.'