Chapter Fifty-Seven

OMG THIS IS SO LATE I AM SOO SORRY!!!! Schools back and I have so much work so if updates are slow, that is the reason why but I wil try to make it fater than this update. I might make it to chapter 60 and then I will finish and edit it and release my new fanfic THEN start writing the Meant To Be sequel. Any ways thankyou and enjoy! xx

140 votes for Chapter 58 <3

I love ansering your questions so spam my ask box!

http://ask.fm/rubyhannah

---------------------------------------------------

 ----------THE AFTERNOON (NEXT DAY) ----------------

I woke up in a dark room only the morning sunlight shining through the heavy curtains. Fresh flowers were in a vase at my bedside with a pile of clothes from home. I was lost and disoriented untill I saw Daniel sitting in the chair in the corner of my room on his phone. I squinted.
"Skip?" I said, my voice husky.
"Rubes!" he said dopping his phone and running over to my bedside, kissing my cheek and hugging me delicately. "You're awake!" he smiled, ringing the nurses bell. I nodded and examined myself. I was heavily bruised and there was pressure on my chest when I breathed but apart from that, I wasn't too bad. A nurse came in briskly, grinning in my direction. She filled in forms and assesed me.
"Now once we get you walking and feeling a bit less of the pain we should be able to release you- the way you're going hopefully tomorrow."
"Tomorrow only?" I questioned.
"Yes, that is extremely good." the nurse said fixing my bed.
"But it was a serious crash. Why wasn't I injured more?" I asked totally confused.
"The driver of the car recieved the most injuries," the nurse said sympathetically. That's when I remembered again.
"Where's Luke?" I said tearfully. Skip came over and held my hand.
"He is in a very critical condition at the moment, he's being watched in the intensive care unit, we just don't know how stable he is."
"Will he be okay?!" I whimpered.
"We really aren't sure. We have seen cases like this that have resulted in full recovery, but we have also seen the devostating side of things like this, we are all praying he pulls through." the nurse informed me. I felt two heavy tears roll down my cheeks as I turned to Skip.
"Is Gina here?" I asked. Skip nodded.
"I'll go get her." he said before rushing out of the room.
"Now that we're alone, we need to know for diagnosis, do you remember anything from the night of the crash."
"All I can remember is it raining heavily, the huge headlights infront of us and it all happened. I feel so bad." I cried.
"What is there to feel bad about? It was a freak accident!" the nurse said reassuring me.
"Luke protected me before the truck hit us." I said now sobbing, I was a wreck.
"He did that for you because he loves you, don't feel guilty."
"But if he didn't put himself in front of me or wrap his arms arund me then maybe he wouldn't be in his position. I'm free to go and Luke may not even survive." I said, tears streming down my face. I could barely get my words out. 
"In a way it was lucky he did do that, the truck hit the drivers side at full speed, if Luke didn't lean over to you, he may not even be here right now." the nurse explained. I was silent in shock.

Gina came rushing in, straight to my bed, hugging me and crying,
"Gorgeous thankgod you're okay! You're mum is on a plane over as we speak. I'm so happy you're safe." she said crying even more. Gina's eyes were bloodshot and puffy.
"Can I see Luke?" I asked straight away.
"Ruby, it might be a bit of a shock for you."
"I need to see him." I demanded as Gina held my hand. The nurse supported me getting up although I could basically get on my feet myself. I wobbled a bit then focused, walking slowly but surely with Gina by my side into the intensive care unit. The only pain I could really feel was in my chest, pressuring against me. I was so scared and nervous I was about to be sick. What if Luke was worse than I thought he would be? Gina opened the door to the unit and I walked in, waiting for her to join me so that I could hold her hand as she led me over to Luke. The sight of him hit me like a ton of bricks. He was laying on his back, scratches on his cheeks on top of the slight bruising. His collar bones were exposed, also bruised and his arm out of the bed with a huge gash saved by stitches. A drip was attached to the middle of his arm and a constant but slow beep from a machine indicated his heartbeat. He looked so peaceful. 
"He's in a coma," Gina whispered, resting her hand on my back as I observed Luke.
"For how long?" I croaked still looking at Luke.
"No-one knows." Gina said fighting back tears. She took a deep breath and excused herself saying she needed to 'use the bathroom'. She was such a strong woman and she hated others seeing her cry. I dragged a chair to Lukes bedside and sat down. I softly picked up his hand and rested it in mine, it was lifeless, I squeezed his hand hoping for a reaction that I knew I wouldn't get. Nothing. More tears streamed down my face.
"Luke." I whispered through my tears, hoping he would somehow hear me. "Please wake up."
A nurse came to the end of Luke's bed and joined me. "You must be Ruby? You were in the car with Luke last night." she said. I nodded, still clasping onto Luke's hand. "Right now we are still unsure of what will happen but his injuries although it may not look it were quite severe, he suffered major concussion, internal and external bleeding which was very serious and broken ribs which punctured a lung, he is being very closely monitored and well looked after." she explained. My head was spinning.
"Is he going to be okay?" I asked for the hundreth time just wanting a straight answer.
"We are all hoping so, he has his whole life ahead of him."
"Thankyou," I whispered, hardly any words were coming out. I stayed with Luke for hours, keeping his hand in mine. I fell asleep briefly at the side of his bed but refused to leave. Gina came back hours later with my mum which is when I finally left to go back to my room. she could only stay a few nights because of her strict work schedule but I guess it comforted her to know that I would be going home and was in good hands or else she may have stayed longer. Mum hired an extra bed for my room that she slept in for my last night in hospital. I kept getting numerous texts from friends and family with best wishes and concerns. Mum phoned work for me, getting a week off for recovery. I would need much more than that while my boyfriend was on life support.

------------------- 1 DAY LATER -------------------------

I got my stuff and sat on the end of the freshly made hospital bed. Mum had gone to sign me out and Gina was with Luke- had been all night. Jai and James had rushed back from Sydney and were waiting for me to arrive back at the house. Mum had been called back for work and was catching a taxi to the airport once I was home. We went and said goodbye to Gina in the intensive care ward.
"Are you sure you don't want to stay the night?"
"I would but work has called in as urgent and I can't get out of it, I feel terrible." my mum replied.
"No don't! She's in good hands, I may not be there all the time but Beau will take care of her and James's parents would be more than happy to." Gina said as brightly as she could.
"Thankyou Gina, all the best- I'll ring you tomorrow!" mum said kissing Gina's cheek then moving Luke's hair back and kissing his forehead. I gave Gina a long hug and went over to Luke as mum went to wait outside for me. Luke was still in the same position. I bent down and softly kissed his cheek.
"I love you," I whispered to him before standing back upright and going to mum. She took my hand as we took the elevator downstairs to the taxi waiting out the front. It was hard saying goodbye to my mum as I got out of the taxi at home. I knew I would see her soon for Jayden's birthday which made it a little easier than usual. I have mum a kiss and a very long hug before getting out of the taxi and walking towards the door. As I guessed, it was unlocked. "Hello?" I called as I went in. Beau came running up to me, slowing down before giving me a huge hug. I groaned a little
"Sorry, I forgot, I'm just so happy to see you" Beau smiled with worry in his eyes.
"Just a bit sore," I said holding bck more tears.
"How is he?" Beau asked delicately. I couldn't answer, I burst into more tears before Beau's arms pulling me towards his chest and rubbing my back.
"I'm going to go see him soon but James will come over to give you company."
"No, I'm coming with you." I stated.
"But you just saw him," Beau asked confused.
"I'm going again, I'm gonna pack some stuff aswell- I don't know if I'll be coming home for a while."
"Ruby, you cant stay at the hospital." Beau said.
"I have to stay with Luke, I don't care where he is." I said giving Beau another squeeze before going off to pack some clothes and essentials.

It was only when I wasn't distacted that I could feel the pain from the crash. Just thinking about Luke sacrificing himself for me made me sick to my stomach, or just like I wanted to cry. I couldn't stand him being hurt or the thought of losing him. I grabbed my bag and went into the loungeroom. The house was so quiet. Beau got up as well as Jai who must've just arrived. He gave me comforting hug before we got int the car to go to the hospital. Jai had already seen Luke and was going to pick up Gina who hadn't eaten in forever and hadn't slept since the crash. We got to the ward to find that Luke had moved to his own room but still was being closely monitored. I hired a bed and put my stuff next to the spare bed in his room. Gina didn't want to leave her son but finally went with Jai after much persuation. Beau was shocked to see his brother in the state he was and stayed with me for a few hours before saying goodbye and heading home. Soon enough it was just Luke and I. I pushed the camper bed close to the side of Lukes so that I was close enough to sit on the side of my bed but stay close to his. I took his hand and studied him closely. All I wanted was for him to wake up. The person that I always talked to, never left their side was suddenly taken from me for god knows how long. "Please wake up Luke, I'm sorry," I whispered as Luke layed rigid. I stayed up for hours, talking to Luke who would never respond. Maybe I was crazy, or maybe it was just my way of grieving. "I miss you. Please wake up babe," I kissed his cheek and let go of his hand, I wanted to hold onto it forever. I unclipped my charm bracelt that Luke had given to me and hung in on the head of the bed next to him before climbing into my bed and trying to get to sleep. I didn't think that was going to happen anytime soon. Any little sound coming from Luke's direction made me jump and turn the light on, checking to see is he was waking. A few nurses came in to check up and record how he was doing, still noting.
It was going to be a long night.