48: Vren

"Leimar, when are you going to hold the celebratory program for the opening of our Canada annex?"

"The board has made a decision, Sir Vren. The program's going to be on the 25th of the month. The media has been informed of the event, too. Just a few more last-minute preparations, and we're good."

Ganito kami ni Leimar — my right-hand at Medialink — laging nag-uusap sa pamamagitan ng video chat, and during busier times, through email. This way, I could still monitor the company from thousands of miles away.

"That's great. Just keep me posted about the company, okay?"

"Guaranteed, sir."

I ended the conversation with a thumbs-up for Leimar.

After I had been assured that Medialink was still in an excellent state, I grabbed my phone and composed an email to the only person who's been keeping tabs on Mira for me.

To: mea_ AD@medialinkmarketing.com
From: vmontevilla@medialinkmarketing.com

Hey, how is she? How is my Mira?

I waited for a few minutes before I got a reply.

To: vmontevilla@medialinkmarketing.com
From: mea_ AD@medialinkmarketing.com

Gaya pa rin po ng dati, sir. Matamlay. Balita ko po, dinala siya kagabi ng kapatid niyo sa dinner date sa isang yacht at tinanong ulit ng The Big Question. Kaso wala, e. "No" pa rin po ang sagot ni Mira.

Napangiti ako sa reply ng kaibigan ni Mira. So, for the nth time, basted na naman ang siraulo kong kapatid kay Mira. Serves him right, that bastard.

To: mea_ AD@medialinkmarketing.com
From: vmontevilla@medialinkmarketing.com

Is that so? Any chance that she told you guys why she won't say yes to Vince yet?

To: vmontevilla@medialinkmarketing.com
From: mea_ AD@medialinkmarketing.com

Ayaw pa ring magsalita, sir. Masyadong secretive! Laging umiiwas kapag napupunta sa love life niya ang usapan. Pero obvious namang hihihintay niya pa rin kayo, sir. ;)

This time, I couldn't help laughing at Mira's friend's reply.

To: mea_ AD@medialinkmarketing.com
From: vmontevilla@medialinkmarketing.com

You really believe that it's me who's the reason Mira keeps saying no to Vince, then?

To: vmontevilla@medialinkmarketing.com
From: mea_ AD@medialinkmarketing.com

Of course, sir! Kaibigan ako ni Mira. I know her well enough para malaman kong ikaw ang gusto niya, hindi si Doc Vince.

To: mea_ AD@medialinkmarketing.com
From: vmontevilla@medialinkmarketing.com

If that's the case, then take care of her for me, will you? I'll be back for her. Soon.

****

It was almost one in the afternoon when I finished everything I was supposed to do — checking on my company through Leimar, chatting with Mira's friend to keep me posted about her life, and going through some last-minute talks and deals regarding the opening of the Medialink Canada annex.

Without anything else to do, I decided to just lie in bed and do my usual habit of staring at my first-ever photo with Mira — the one I took while riding a Ferris wheel with her. I guess it's funny how on that day, unti-unti na palang nagbabago ang tingin ko sa kanya — from just a random woman who managed to annoy the hell out of me, to someone who, well, I've become fond of. I never get tired of reliving that day when I first acknowledged the fact that I'm already falling for Mira.

There was also our Magic Moments shot for my viewing pleasure. Just one look at it, and it instantly takes me back to the day.

I couldn't remember falling asleep that night, but I could recall being with Mira in a pleasant dream.

****

"Hello, Mr. Montevilla? Yes, it's me, Suzanne." Nagising ako sa tawag ng secretary ni Mr. Bosch, CEO of Arcodas. "I'm calling to inform you that I just emailed you his video speech for the celebratory program of Medialink Philippines on the 25th."

"Good. Thanks, Suzanne." I sat up and retrieved my laptop from my bedside table.

"Don't worry about it, sir," she answered in her crisp accent. "Have a nice day."

"You too." With that, I ended the call, noting how efficient Mr. Bosch's secretary was. It was just several hours after I requested for her boss' video speech.

Unfortunately, that line of thinking gave me thoughts of my own secretary, Lally, and her occasional inefficiency. Pupusta ako, ni minsan ay hindi pa naiwala ni Suzanne ang schedule ni Mr. Bosch, something that couldn't be said of Lally. Still, I appreciate my secretary, particularly her patience for someone whose boss is as ill-tempered as I am.

Kumusta na kaya si Lally? Just picturing my silly assistant was enough to make me smile while feeling homesick at the same time.

My life in Canada hasn't been easy, and I never expected it to be. The moment I recklessly decided to push through with Arcodas' suggestion of an international expansion, I knew I was in for a rough time. For a while, Mr. Bosch had one of his staff assist me while I worked for the whole Canada annex concept, and frankly, I welcomed any and all help I got. But mostly, I was working on my own, as strategic planning and client coordination just weren't stuff you expect a stopgap secretary to know. I spent most of the time with Arcodas' CEO himself.

I met new people, sure, and hung out with a few others. Not surprisingly, I got a bunch of women interested in me. But I hardly gave any effort of looking at them. No one was as bubbly, spirited, and yeah, as crazy as the AD Head I know back in the Philippines.

The last twelve months I spent were nothing but a cycle of business meetings and longing for everything I left at home.

I checked my inbox, and just as what Suzanne said, there was her message which contained an attachment — Mr. Bosch's video speech for the people of Medialink Philippines.

I took my time to watch the video. Then I started recording a speech of my own — a personal message to my company's whole staff. Mamaya-maya lang, ipapadala ko na ito kay Leimar at siya na ang bahalang magdesisyon kung saang parte ng celebratory program ipapalabas ang video namin ni Mr. Bosch. But I was pretty sure everyone at Medialink would want a glimpse of their missing-in-action boss before anything else.