38: Vren

• Dedicated kay Dessa Mae Gonzales Marquez

"Lally, I won't be able to go to work today — I have a terrible headache. Please reschedule my appointments for today." Even the act of pressing my phone against my ear seemed to send another fresh wave of ache through my temples, but I had to tell my secretary that I'd be on leave.

"Noted, sir. Get well soon po," Lally replied.

"Thank you." I hung up.

Sinubukan kong bumangon but damn it, the ache was unbearable. Parang binibiyak ang ulo ko sa sakit. I was about to call Lally again and ask her if she could leave Medialink for a moment to buy me some medicine and, while she's at it, something to eat for breakfast.

Then I remembered Mira's face.

No. Not today, Vren, I chastised myself mentally. 'Di ba, gusto mo nang layuan siya? You'd be breaking your own rule, you idiot.

But then I felt another nasty throb in my head, and after cursing out loud, I found myself dialing Mira's number.

She picked up on the third ring.

"Hello, Sir Vren?" Mira's tone was confused. "Napatawag ka?"

"Hey, Mira." I exhaled, trying to calm myself. Baka magulat siya kapag bigla ulit akong mapamura dahil sa sakit na nararamdaman ko. "Sorry to disturb you, but is there any chance you could come over to my unit? I badly need your help."

****

Surprisingly, it only took Mira a short while to arrive at my place. Once I received a text message from her, saying she was already outside my unit, I mustered all my willpower to get out of bed. Miraculously, I made it to the door to let her in.

Her jaw dropped when she saw the state I was in.

"Hi. Thanks for coming over," I told her, rather sheepishly. "Sorry to disturb you, but I couldn't think of anyone else to ask for help. Can you please buy some meds for my headache, and something to eat for breakfast? My hangover's killing me."

"S-sure," she replied, obviously still in shock as she accepted the money I handed her. I couldn't blame her, though — with my tousled hair, casual clothes, and miserable expression, alam kong malayong-malayo ako sa Vren na nakasanayan niyang kaharap.

"Thank you, Mira. I owe you a lot for this." I managed a smirk. "I know this isn't in your job description, but..."

"Don't be silly." She gave me a small smile. "Wala 'to, Sir Vren. And for the record, masaya ako na ako ang naisip mong hingan ng tulong."