20: Vren

"Gusto ko lang namang tulungan mo akong mapalapit kay Mira."

If only I could ask Mom right now kung saan niya ipinaglihi si Vince, I would. Baka dahil doon kaya naging abnormal siya.

Imagine asking my help to get closer to that Mira woman, when in fact, she and I could hardly last a second without staring daggers at each other. And Vince witnessed the animosity between us firsthand.

So, anong trip niya?

Unfortunately, I know just how insistent Vince could be. Once he wanted something, he will do everything just to get his hands on that thing.

I remembered from when we were young — maybe seven or something. We were playing a few yards outside our house, and he caught sight of a cool-looking kite, tangled between the branches of a high tree.

Imagine seven year-old Vince, carrying the metal ladder from our garage, then setting it up against the tree trunk. He then intently climbed it to reach for the kite.

We had to bring our nanny to the hospital after, to get her blood pressure leveled, since witnessing Vince do that stunt worried her to death.

Now, Vince is turning back to that little boy, wanting something so bad.

That Mirathea surely is the kite — the prize. And me?

I'm the ladder. A stupid ladder.

This has to stop – Vince, pursuing that Mirathea. And not just because I don't want to waste my precious time playing bridge for her and my crazy brother. Ayaw ko ring mahaluan ng isang lampa at maingay na babae ang lahi ng mga Montevilla, sakaling magkatuluyan sila.

It would be a nightmare, having that woman as a sister-in-law.

But the thing is, wala akong maisip na paraan kung paano matu-turn-off si Vince kay Miss Loudmouth. Bukod sa kaingayan at kalampahan ng babaeng 'yon, wala na akong ibang maisip na kapintasan niya — as of now.

She's obviously smart, and well... she's pretty decent in the looks department. I find her beautiful enough, kapag hindi siya nakasimangot at nakatingin nang matalim sa akin.

Hindi ko naman pwedeng sabihin kay Vince na, "Hey, bro. You and Mira don't look good together. There's too much of a height difference."

O kaya, " I heard that accountants and doctors don't make a sound relationship."

Makakakuha lang ako ng batok galing sa kuya ko.

Yet I have to think fast. The more I take time in finding a reason for Vince to get turned off with that woman, the closer those two might get with each other. Halata naman na may interes din si Ms. Custodio sa kapatid ko.

How does the saying go again? Ah, yes. "Know your enemies."

So, I might as well spend a little more time with that woman. Sooner or later, I will find out about something – something that might kill Vince's interest on her.