42: Vren

Mira and I finished our lunch, so I asked her if she wanted to go someplace else. When she answered that I better drive her back to Medialink, I sighed and said, "Just take the goddamn day off, Ms. Custodio."

"Sayang ang kalahating araw, Mr. Montevilla," she quipped.

"Kakasabi mo lang sa akin na bawasan ang pagiging workaholic at maglibang din paminsan-minsan. I dare you to walk your talk."

Mira rolled her eyes. "Whatever. Saan na tayo pupunta ngayon, aber?"

"That, I have no idea. Kaya nga tinatanong kita."

She appeared to be thinking until finally, she said, "Alam ko na, sir. Mag-mall na lang tayo."

"Do you need to do some shopping?" I asked.

"Ako, mamimili? Hindi, ah. Wala na nga akong pera, e." Tumawa siya. "Magpapalamig lang. Por que ba pupunta ng mall, may bibilhin agad?"

"I don't see the point of going to the mall only to end up buying nothing."

"Rich kid ka kasi. Hindi ka sanay na hindi gumagasta," she replied with a smirk. "Ano, game ka ba o hindi? Mag-aaya ka, tapos..."

"Fine, off to the mall we go," I said in a flat tone.

"A-agree ka rin naman pala." She stuck her tongue out at me, and I had to hide a smile. "Tara na!"

****

We arrived to the mall after a half-hour drive.

With me taking her arm, we walked towards the mall, parting only because of the separate lines for males and females at the entrance. Once rejoined inside, I instantly noticed Mira's ecstatic expression.

"Matagal-tagal na rin akong hindi nakapasok sa mall!" she said, much to my amusement.

Para talagang bata ang isang 'to. Funny how a thing as simple as this was enough to make Mira happy.

"So, what are we going to do here?" I asked. "Don't tell me you're serious about just window shopping?"

Her ecstatic smile turned into a glare. "Bakit, anong masama sa pagwi-window shopping? Kayo talagang mayayaman, por que marami kayong pera, ang hilig niyo nang manghamak ng mga maralita!"

"Did I say something foul?" I scowled as she continued giving me an awful look. "You always act as if I'm doing horrible things all the time."

She huffed. "Talaga naman! Need I remind you, Mr. Montevilla, that until recently, lagi mo akong pinagtitripan at inaalipusta."

"That was ages ago!" I said indignantly. "Hindi ka pa rin ba nakaka-move on, Ms. Custodio? I thought we're okay now."

"Hmp," she said with a smirk. And to my confusion, that smirk was instantly replaced with a wide-eyed look of delight. I followed her gaze, only to be greeted by the sight of a stuffed toy stall, full of gigantic plushes of all colors and sorts.

I decided to tease her. If there's one thing Mira is addicted to, it would be an enormous stuffed toy. I still remember that wizard stuffed toy from Enchanted Kingdom, which Mira told me is what she hugs every time she goes to sleep.

"Okay. Let's go now, Ms. Window Shopper." I grinned at her. "Since we've already established that you're content with hugging good old Eldar the Wizard, you'll be all right with one last look at that oversized pink teddy bear, which I'm sure will give you a nice nightly hug as well."

Mira's expression morphed into near tears, and I fought hard to keep myself from chuckling.

"You're a thrift, aren't you? Come on, there's no use staring at something you won't buy anyway."

Despite her eyes turning glassy, she still managed to roll them at me.

Taking in her pitiful look, I finally conceded. "Enough of that drama. We'll go buy you a new sleeping companion."

The last glimpse I had of Mira before we entered the toy store was her crazy grin, like a child being handed an early Christmas present.