36: Vren

I knew I'd pay for it come morning, but right now, I didn't care. After another long day at work, I found myself driving to Blue Cavern — this bar where I hang out when I feel like running away from all the stress and problems brought by my fucked-up life.

Bahala na kung paano ako uuwi mamaya.

I took another gulp of liquor, then closed my eyes as the events of today came back to me.

"Vince." I gave my brother, who's standing at the doorway of my office, a cold stare. "Ano na naman ang ginagawa mo rito?"

He gave me an equally icy look. "I just came here to ask is it alright if I take Mira out for dinner tonight?"

"Why the fuck are you asking for my permission?"

"Well, the last time we saw each other, you told me to back off." His jaw tightened. "What was that all about, huh?"

I didn't answer his question. "Go back to AMMC, Vince. I'm busy. At wala akong pakialam kung mag-date man kayo ng babaeng 'yon mamaya. Have fun."

My brother now approached me, eyes narrowed. "I don't know what you're playing at, Vren, but leave Mira alone. 'Wag mong sabihin na pati siya, aagawin mo sa akin. What have I ever done to you?"

"You are so dramatic, Vince." I sniggered. "Wala akong inaagaw sa'yo. If you are talking about our parents' approval, then ask yourself why you lost it. Ikaw naman talaga dapat ang susunod na magpapatakbo ng Medialink, 'di ba? But you chose to follow your passion, or whatever shit you call it. You don't have to act like a jealous kid now."

"I know. And I'm not jealous with you in the slightest. Masaya akong pinili kong sundin ang passion ko. You, on the contrary..." He shook his head. "Look at you, bro. You're miserable. Pero hindi naman kita masisisi. Iniwan ka na nga pala ng lahat ng mga kaibigan mo, ng babaeng mahal mo..."

"Aww. Thanks for sympathizing with me." I gave him a sarcastic smile. "Now, won't you do the same and leave me alone, too? I'm trying to work here, in case you didn't notice."

Vince exhaled, obviously fed up with me. "I'm sorry to bother you, Mr. CEO. Just steer clear of Mira, and everything will be fine between us."

Just steer clear of Mira... exactly what I was trying to do. And probably why I feel dejected as of the moment.

Maybe my brother was right — I was just a miserable person, and that's why I was trying to get in between them.

Maybe I just misunderstood my feelings — I didn't like Mira. Not at all.

Maybe I was the one acting like a jealous kid, seeing my brother happy and wanting to ruin it for him.

Maybe I'm meant to be alone all along. And that's fine — I'm already used to it.

Maybe I needed more alcohol, to knock some sense in me...

"Hey," I said to catch the bartender's attention, banging my glass on the marble countertop for added measure. "Can you fill this up again?"