32: Vren

I'm such in a good mood because finally, we've closed the Arcodas deal — that meant a good profit for Medialink and, more importantly, a favorable association with one of the world's leading ad companies.

But of course, something had to happen, effectively ruining my jubilation. My phone beeped, signaling a message, and I found myself staring at Vince's message.

Hello, Mira! Are you free tonight? I just want to spend some time with you so... Just text back if you're okay with a dinner at say, 7 pm? Take care!

I cursed at his stupidity. Mukha bang Mira ang pangalan ko?

Moreover, what did I just read?

Vince is taking Mira on a dinner date later.

Well, too bad for him and his poor texting skills. I think it's time for another one of my brilliant antagonistic plans.

****

Lunchtime was almost over, but when I checked if Mira was in her office, she was nowhere to be found. I asked one of our accounting staff, and I was told that she was with her friends, spending time at the cafe just right across Medialink.

With a sigh, I exited the company premises, my destination of course being Ms. Custodio's supposed whereabouts. And sure enough, I found her with her friends, chatting away the break time.

I approached their table, glancing at my watch as I did so. At this point, they should've been making their way back to the office, yet here they are, too intent on talking that they didn't even notice my presence.

Mukhang may masesermonan ako mamaya.

I was already close enough to hear their conversation. And when I learned what they were talking about, I had to bite my tongue to keep myself from laughing.

Apparently, they were interrogating Mira — specifically, about her dating life.

I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but Christ Almighty... Ni hindi pa pala nagkaroon ng boyfriend si Ms. Custodio sa tanang buhay niya. She's never even been kissed, either! No wonder the sight of my underwear was scandalous enough to warrant a bout of hyperventilation from her.

Then again, why was I even surprised? There's something different about this woman, alright.

I could've easily listened to every other embarrassing detail of her life, but I still have a mission to carry out.

"So, you've never had a boyfriend, and you've never been kissed. What else do we need to know about you, Ms. Custodio?"

As expected, she and her friends looked like they saw a ghost after I unexpectedly butted in their conversation.

"Sir Vren! Kanina ka pa po nandiyan?" Mira asked, eyes round with surprise.

"Just long enough for me to hear how unfortunate your dating life is," I answered, and her face turned a deeper shade of pink. "May I know why the four of you are still out? Lunchtime is over by twenty minutes."

Mira and her friends shared nervous looks.

"This is so irresponsible of you — two department heads gossiping with co-employees during office hours."

"Sorry, Sir Vren." It was Mira's old-fashioned friend — I overheard from their conversation earlier that her name is actually Mavi — who apologized. Among the four, Mavi seemed to be the most sensible. I happened to know that Alessandro Pinpin and Hannah Marvilla are both crazyheads. And of course, the leader of the gang, Mirathea Custodio herself, is a total wacko.