30: Vren

"Hi, Lyka. Can you do me a favor? I'm attending a business conference next week. I need you to get me some new corporate wear."

Lyka is my personal shopper — handpicked by Mom. Even though at first, I rolled my eyes at the idea of having someone else shop my clothes for me, I must admit that my mother had a point. Being busy as hell, I don't even have the time to buy myself office attire. And besides, Lyka does a great job in keeping me looking sharp and presentable at all times.

"Hi, Sir Vren. As much as I would like to, I'm afraid I can't do so at the moment. I'm actually at the airport right now, on my way to attending a fashion convention in Japan."

Oh, right. A fashion convention in Japan — that's not unexpected for Lyka. Being a designer who's starting to make waves in the industry, and yes, personal shopper for elites, she's always flying in and out of the country, attending events of that sort.

But just what on Earth will I wear to the business conference I'm about to attend next week – a garbage bag?

"That's good to hear. Well, I guess you can give my wardrobe some hauling after that convention, then."

"Looking forward to it, sir. I'm sorry if I can't attend to you at this moment."

"No worries. Take care, Lyka."

"You too, sir." With that, she ended the call.

Between literally wearing a garbage bag and personally buying my stuff, I chose the second. After all, it's been ages since I last stepped into a mall.

****

So, this is how it feels to enter a mall again.

Feeling slightly awkward — people were staring at me, for God's sake — I looked around, trying to find a decent place to shop for a nice suit. I found one, got what I needed and paid for it, then made my way out of the haberdashery again.

And that's when I saw Mirathea Custodio.

She was inside a boutique, about four shops away from the haberdashery I just visited. And she's with the weirdest assortment of people I'd ever seen.

One was Alessandro Pinpin, who I secretly nicknamed "Temples", dahil noong tinanong ko siya kung nasaan ang head niya (referring to their department head who, of course, is Ms. Custodio), itinuro lang naman niya sa akin ang sentido niya. Alam kong gwapo ako, pero nakakawala rin pala ng katinuan ang mukha ko.

Ms. Custodio's second companion was easily the most old-fashioned creature I've ever seen. I think she's also from the Accounting Department, but apart from that, I didn't know much about her.

And the third friend – wait, is that Hannah Marvilla? What is Mirathea doing with that crazyhead?

Nice one, Ms. Custodio. Ang galing mo palang pumili ng mga kaibigan.

Not.

That was sarcasm, in case it wasn't obvious yet.

Before I could think my actions through, I found myself stepping inside the boutique. My eyes were on Mira — she was wearing a pink dress, which looked really nice on her. And she appeared to be discussing something with her friends.

Nang mapansin ako ni Ms. Custodio at ng mga kaibigan niya, gulat nila akong sinundan ng tingin. I smirked, suddenly enjoying the attention, if only because of the priceless expressions on their faces.

"You look good, Ms. Custodio. Are you planning to buy that dress?"

She blushed, and I bit my tongue to keep myself from chuckling. For a tough person, she sure is shy when it comes to getting complimented.

"Sinukat ko lang, sir. Kinukulit po kasi ako nitong mga kaibigan ko," paliwanag niya. "Pero hindi makatarungan ang presyo, kaya, no thanks."

This time, I wasn't able to help the chuckle that escaped me. "You're a penny-pincher, I see. Shame — you actually look human with that dress on."

She glared at the teasing, but the threatening image was destroyed by her furiously red cheeks. Alessandro, who was beside her, elbowed her and whispered something. This made Mira glower at him as well. Her two other friends, meanwhile, gawked at us wordlessly.

"Anyway. It was nice bumping into you." I gave the group a small smile. "See you tomorrow at work."

I turned my back on them, and their whispers followed me as I made my way out of the boutique. Apparently, Mira was still hesitating to buy the dress, because of the steep price. I let out an exasperated sigh.

Making sure they're still deep in discussion and as such, couldn't see me, I approached the boutique's counter and handed the cashier my card.

"I'm paying for that pink dress," I told the cashier, gesturing to Mira covertly and keeping my voice low.

Thank God the cashier understood right away. Giving me a tight-lipped smile, she punched the sale and swiped my card.

I threw Mira and her friends one final look before exiting the shop. They were still arguing — color me unsurprised.

Too much Mirathea Custodio for today — time to drive home and get some rest. I just hoped she'd stop invading my dreams.