This is how the story ends-Tony x reader

You parked your car, and stopped the engine as you left out a sigh. In front of you, was the building that you didn't see in three years, the...

Avengers Facility.

 The most secured building in New York, the home of Earth's Mightiest heroes. The name itself, "Avengers", brought back memories you wanted to keep burned in the shadows of the past.

Also, "Avengers", the team you were once part of.

Don't get me wrong, nobody kicked you out, nor did you do anything wrong, but you had to leave some time ago in a long-term mission, one so dangerous that you didn't know if you were coming back from.

Everybody told you to stay home, to leave it to someone else, but you couldn't do that. Nobody knew, but it was about your parents, it was a personal mission, where you had to find out about your origins, about where you came from, and about what happened with your family when you were a kid, if you had any living relatives.

The mission was so tempting that you couldn't say no, and nobody knew the true purpose of it... well, nobody except Tony, your ex boyfriend.

You stepped out of the car and took on your sunglasses, heading inside.

FLASHBACK, 3 years ago...

"So, a 3 years term solo mission?" Tony muttered, looking down at your joined hands.

You and Tony were in his lab, sitting on stools, facing each other. You were there, trying to explain him what you were going to do, it was the day when you had to leave. Tony entwined his fingers with yours, and was looking at you with his big, doe, innocent eyes. Eyes that made you want to kiss him every time you saw them. Eyes that made you want to quit the mission and just stay by his side.

"Yeah... it's important" you nodded

"What is it about?" he asked as he began toying lovingly with your fingers and placing kisses here and there.

"I... I can't tell you that" you sighed heavily.

"Why? You don't trust me?" he asked, his expression saddening as he stared at you with glassy eyes.

"Of course I trust you, Tony... I trust you with my life, but this is a personal matter. I have to do it myself" you said softly.

"But I don't wanna let you go" he muttered, letting go of your hands and folding his arms over his broad chest.

"I know, but this is important. I promise, when I'll be back, I'll explain everything" you said, standing up.

When you saw that neither of you said any word for a while, you began walking towards the door.

"Y/N, let someone else go! What if you die? Screw the mission! I don't wanna loose you!" Tony finally spoke, standing up from his stool.

"I can't! It's important!" you yelled back

"What is it? Is it about the money? I'll give you double, just stay home!" he yelled back

"It's not about the money! They don't pay me for this!" you yelled

"Then why the fuck are you going?!" he fired back, clenching his jaw

Usually, when Tony clenched his jaw, it meant that he was really angry.

"Why?! It's about my family! About who I really am! I need to find out what happened to them, if I have relatives...! I have to find out where I come from, where I belong..." you said, calming down a little, now that you've told him.

"... But what if you find out something that will hurt you? If you find something that you shouldn't have?" Tony asked, also calming down a little.

"It doesn't matter. I will go over it. It's in the past" you nodded, straightening your back.

"No, I can't let you do that. I forbid you" he shrugged

"You forbid me?" you scoffed, "You can't forbid me anything, asshole! You don't own me and you don't have any right to do that! It's my life and I have to find out about it!" you yelled again.

"I can't believe it! Why are you so selfish?!" he scoffed

"I am selfish? I AM SELFISH?! Think before you speak!" you commented

"You know what? If you want to go, go. I don't care. I'm breaking up with you" Tony said, shrugging, a tone of finality in his voice. Even tho, he regretted every single word he blurt out.

"Fine, because I was going to do that before I left" you nodded, accepting it.

He looked like his heart just broke, his eyes widening.

"I can't believe this is how our story ends..." you shook your head and turned around, walking up the stairs.

"No, Y/N wait! I didn't mean it! Please! Come back..." Tony shouted after you, but it was all to late, since you were already heading to the helicopter to leave.

That was the last day you saw him, the same day you left for your mission, the same day his heart froze.

END OF FLASHBACK.

You walked down the hall, towards the elevator, while hearing the staff and other agents whispering between themselves.

"Is that agent Y/L/N?"

"I can't believe she's back"

"I thought she died or something" the voices said, but you ignored everything and kept walking.

You entered in the elevator, and, just when the doors were about to close...

"Hold the elevator!" a voice shouted, and hurried steps were coming towards you.

You quickly placed your foot between the doors, and the person entered the elevator. 

Just then, you realized it was Tony...

The two of you stood frozen in place, staring at each other for a couple of seconds.

He sure changed a lot. He was burlier that he was before, the Arc Reactor was no longer in his chest and the grey in his beard made him look incredible. He was still handsome.

"Y/N..." he finally said, looking at you.

"Tony" you nodded, looking a him.

"It's been a while" he began, nodding.

<--------------------->

A/N: This was originally an IronWidow one shot, with Natasha Romanoff reader, but I think this is better.

Love, Liv

Word count: 1050