Epilogue

Now, this update came earlier than the others, didn't it?

And well, it is the last one cause this ladies and gentlemen... *drum roll*... is the Epilogue of Teach Me How To Fly!

TOTALLY UNEDITED. 

Song on the side: "Runnin" by my beloved Adam Lambert. 

I hope you enjoy!

EPILOGUE

"None of us can ever save himself; we are the instruments of one another's salvation, and only by the hope that we give to others do we lift ourselves out of the darkness into light." 

― Dean Koontz

Avery's P.O.V.

As far as I can remember myself during the senior year I was swallowed up by the darkness inside me. I guess that's what made me and Asher best friends; our common past of unrevealed secrets that needed to come out so that they didn't tear our insides apart anymore.

I had met him when that bastard, Keith, had tried to hit on me for the first time. Ever since, he had become my friend, my guardian angel, my boyfriend, my savior.

The demon in my life, though, considered him as nothing more than a threat.

When I heard the gun fire, I felt like my eardrums exploded along with my heart. The thought of losing Asher shuttered me inside out. The guy was all I had, how would I forgive myself if he died because of me?

On the first morning of June, I paused the music that was playing on my i-pod and stood up without missing the reflection of my face in its small, black screen; my eyes were puffy and slightly red because of the absolute luck of sleep from last night.

I took a ghostly slow, hot shower that my muscles barely felt and then run a hairbrush through my tangled dark chocolate hair.

The well known loose black dress I had worn at Ali's funeral was hanging outside my closet emerging the soft sense of cleanliness which, unfortunately, was not in the slightest refreshing.

I slipped my flannel nightgown down my body and put on the dress along with my combat boots.

I made my way down the stairs and found my mother sitting all alone in the kitchen. Something deep inside me told me she would never forgive me for putting the love of her life behind the prison bars. I hesitated at first but then I walked to the table and took a seat close to her.

She gulped down some almond flavored coffee without looking at me.

I pursed my lips and took her tiny hand in my hands. I scoffed noticing her wedding ring; as if she'd take it off.

"I'm still here for you, mum," I reminded her soothingly and attempted to look in her empty maroon eyes.

"There's more fresh coffee, if you want," she replied still facing away from me.

I gave myself a small smile. It was a start, right? Children were not supposed to try that hard to have a relationship with their own mother but I knew how she used to depend on him to breathe and now that he was no longer with her she felt like I had taken everything she had away.

Almost an hour later, she caressed my hair for a moment and stumbled to the living room. Checking the clock above the window behind me I realized I was really late and I had to run.

The entrance and yard of St. Barbara High School were adorned with big bouquets of white and yellow lilies. People dressed in black walked around; some of them hurrying their way towards the school theatre where the funeral was going to be held and others taking a break from the thick tension in the room and smoking outside the premises.