PART 35: For him

Hello there, people!

I hope you enjoy this!

Not edited. 

Part 35: For him

“It's so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.” 

― John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent

Avery's POV

“Leave me alone!” I screamed.

He ignored me. His punch came hard on my jaw making my teeth crash together hard. A jolt of pain mixed with desperation pierced my skull and pushed its way down my wounded body.

The scent of cheap whiskey lingered around him as he moved. My eyes flickered to the closed window. The room would probably stink afterwards.

I was lying on the floor right in front of his brown boots that kept connecting to my now bare stomach as my shirt had risen a while ago. My body felt weak and helpless to the bone but my soul felt nothing but fed fucking up.

He had been beating me black and blue for as long as we could remember. He had enjoyed making me unconscious for years and years. He had made my relationship with the best and only friend I ever had so difficult that I actually thought about pushing her away. For good. She was suffering as much as I did because of him. Then, he helped send my first love an ocean away. Now, though, it was either me or him. Asher was my last chance.

I crawled away from him trying to appear apologetic and all. But I was more determined than ever.

I shut my eyes. I did my best not to let the excruciating pain take over and lead me to numbness.

When I heard his heavy footsteps lead their stumbling way out of my room, I sat up and hugged my knees trying to ease my breath.

I grabbed the edge of my wooden desk and pushed my legs to support my weight. Holding on my stomach, I walked unsteadily towards the bathroom.

My reflection of my face in the mirror looked at least horrifying. My left cheek was swollen and there was blood dripping from the corner of my mouth. I was pathetically thankful that my eyes were not framed by blue rings.

I turned the water on and washed my face quickly. Then, I changed in a long sleeved shirt and a knee length skirt to cover my forming bruises and scratches and then got out of the house. I was barely certain that I would make to Asher's place but I was definitely doing my best.

When I saw it appear at the end of the road, I sighed in relief. I stood at the door step for a long while hesitant as to whether I should knock or not. Not because I was scared but because maybe, just maybe, it would be better for Asher to stay away from me.

"I don't care, Avery. It would be amazing if you gave up on self-harm forever but if you're not ready, it won't make any difference. It would never disgust me. It would never make me leave you. It would never make me stop believing that you're an angel in my life. It would never make me regret how hard I fell for you."

The words he uttered right after we made love crawled their way in my head making my hand fist and bang the door a couple of times.

As the door opened, Asher's toned body appeared. My eyes involuntarily marvelled his naked chest and I felt an overpowering, mind-blowing urge to touch him, dig my nails in his flesh. I cleared my throat and focused on what I was there for.