PART 33: Phonecall

Hello guys!

This is not edited but I hope you enjoy it anyway!

PART 33: Phonecall

“I love you. I love you. I send this message through my fingers and into his, up his arm and into his heart. Hear me. I love you. And I'm sorry to leave you.” 

― Jenny Downham, Before I Die

Avery's P.O.V.

There are moments in life you open your eyes and feel like a ghost. It feels like life has been sucked out of you and all there's left is a drenched carcass. 

The only thing that reminds you that you're not dead yet, is the grueling pain. The only thing that gets you to believe that you're not done yet, is the painful way your chest moves up and down, desperately reaching for oxygen. 

That's exactly how I woke up the next morning. 

I was lying on the floor, only dressed in the remains of my clothes. My limbs were sore and my lower lip stung but the worst thing of all was the realization that I was practically drowning in a lake made by my own blood. I tried to stand up but only a loud yell escaped my lip before I fell back down. 

I slowly crawled a painful way to the cupboard and stretched my hand, reaching for my cellphone. I scrolled down my contacts and found Tristan's number. It was not like there was something he could do given the fact that he was currently living in another continent but I still felt like listening to his voice. 

"Skittle babe?" he called from the other side of the line and I could picture him grinning like a kid. 

"Hey, angel," I managed to choke out as I re-positioned my body trying to ease the pain a little bit.

"Are you okay?" he asked and all of a sudden his happiness had disappeared.

"Not really," I whispered and this time I didn't manage to restrain my tears. 

"Uncle Warren and his mood swings?" he asked laughing bitterly.

I chuckled at the ironic comment but then gritted my teeth and rubbed my hurt stomach.

"It's worse than usual... I can't even move..." I trailed off crying harder.

"I seriously wish I could help you, babe, but even if I leave now, I won't be there before tonight. Call Asher to come and help you."

"Yeah, I will."

"Ave? You seriously need to do something. You can't stay there. Otherwise, fuck, you'll need to start counting down the days you have left."

I whimpered not being able to talk. 

"I can't afford visiting your grave as well, Avery. Having to look at a stone with my sister's name on it is more than enough and more than I can take. I don't want you six feet under."

"What am I supposed to do, Tristan?"

"Report him to the police!"

"You know I can't do that!"

"Then leave. Come here, with me. I am doing quite fine here and I can put you up."

"I-I don't know," I mumbled.

"Think about it."

"I will..."

"I love you, Avery."

"I love too, Tristan."

"Give me a call after you get some rest, okay?"

"Okay."