First Inkling

(QING)

The first time I had an inkling on the "secret" Dayu was keeping from me was when I got my things back.

The things I have when I got into an accident with Kim. Things that were inside my crashed car and in my body when the accident happened.

My Baba got my expensive watch and bracelet after I undergone that first surgery the day of the accident. But my phone and wallet were on my totaled car and instead of sending it to my family, the things were sent to my office in the consultation firm.

And today, my secretary finally remembered to hand them to me.

"I am sorry, Sir. It slipped from my mind because you were gone for so long and things got hectic when you came back," she apologized over and over.

"It's okay. I understand," I do. The small box containing my phone and wallet arrived in the office three weeks after my accident. My secretary, because of being busy on passing all my work to my associates, informing everyone about my medical condition and organizing the things in the office had forgotten about the box.

It's an honest mistake.

I dismissed her and regards the box. I got my phone. It's not the latest model of the brand anymore, but it's in mint condition. It was fine with just some scratches on it. Lucky phone, to get out of that accident with just a few scratches.

It's dead though. Totally out of charge. So I took a charger and charged it first then leave it to inspect my wallet. Aside from my card and id's inside, there just a few hundred bucks on it. The leather is ruined. That's okay, I don't get attached on things. As long as they had served their purpose, it's okay for me to dispose them.

I already have a new wallet and phone. But I appreciate my cards and id's, even if some of them needed updating. Some already expired or cancelled by my father.

I put the wallet down and let the phone charge while I get to working. Before lunch, I checked the phone and it's now fully charged. I took it off the charging cable and press the on button.

It came to life. It's working fine. Like I said, lucky phone. I explore my calendar to see my appointments that I missed when the accident happened.

I frowned when I saw the date of the accident and the memo on the date after it.

"Dayu leaving for the US with Baba and Maman."

Dayu planned to go out of the country? With our parents? Why am I concerned if Dayu will leave the country? Enough to put a memo on my phone's calendar?

Wait, they will leave to the US even when I am getting married to Kim? Huh?

I frowned some more as I thought about it. I am about to get married yet my father, stepmother and stepbrother planned to leave the country before it can happen. Does it mean, they have no plan to attend my wedding? Or is this a small trip and they will come back in time for my wedding?

Oh, why am I thinking about it too much? First, my wedding to Kim didn't happened because of the accident. Second, they never left because I got into an accident. Third, I will not get married anymore. It's all in the past.

I closed the calendar and went to my contacts. I saw familiar numbers like my father's, friends and business associates. I was about to dismiss the contacts too when I saw an unusual name on the list.