93

Eve POV

I wake up in the middle of the night to a loud crashing sound.

My head jolts off of my pillow and I wipe my eyes. I hear something else crash and my heart starts to pound against my chest roughly. I look to Harry, he's still sleeping. Max is awake, but he's still laying down by my feet.

I gulp down my nerves and shake my husband who's asleep. I hear the floor creak outside our room. I know it's the stairs that lead to the living room, because those are the only wooden stairs in our house. The other ones are hard marble.

Harry groans a little, but opens his eyes. "I think someone is in the house," I manage to say through a shaky whisper.

He sits up in our bed and rubs his eyes. The sound of footsteps coming closer makes my eyes burn with tears. Max gets off of the bed and I flinch. I hope he doesn't bark.

Harry pats the bed, telling Max to lay down. He does, but sticks his butt in the air and wags his tail.

I look back to my husband with scared eyes. "Did you lock the door?" Harry asks me. I nod, remembering.

I hear a light scratch against the door, like someone is grazing their nails against it. I cover my hand over my mouth and feel tears start to burn my eyes.

Harry grabs his phone that's in his nightstand. "Are you calling the cops?" I ask in a very low whisper.

He starts to type on his phone, which makes my eyebrows knot. I see Harry bite his lip and close his eyes.

A few minutes later Harry gives me his phone and I read the messages.

Harry: Liam

Liam: what? I was sleeping

Harry: go outside and tell me if there is a car parked outside my house or near that's not familiar

Liam: okay?

Liam: uh hold on

Liam: fuck I walked into a wall

Liam: some Honda Civic is parked by the curb in front of your house

Liam: your front door is opened though...

Harry: call the cops please

Liam: I will

Liam: shit

A few moments later Liam responds.

Liam: I called the cops

I give the phone back to Harry who responds. His hands hold mine and he leans in and kisses my cheek. His thumb wipes away the tears that are on my face and I bite my lip.

What makes my heart start to pound is the sound of the door handle trying to turn open.

Harry's eyes look into mine and I cover my mouth, trying not to let out a loud sob. I look down at Avery who is still sleeping.

The sound of sirens fill our ears, and the sound of whoever behind the door goes away. My hands are shaky as well as my breaths.

***

By the sound of sirens, whoever was in our house got away.