Chapter 41: Hurricane Ria

PLAYLIST----- Ellie Goulding - Love Me Like You Do 

*

"Gran, I can explain."

I never thought Adam calling Claire by her rightful position in his life would sound so weird. Or that it suddenly made me open my eyes fully and see who she really was.

The mother to my secret boyfriend's father.

"No boy, what more have to tell more than hiding something so big from me and giving me so much heartache?" Claire asked with a frown; something I had never seen her wear from the moment we met.

Then again, we met only twice.

But my, she was scary.

"So Ria was with you all the while?" Lorraine asked in a confused daze. "Then why in the world did you propose to Sarah?"

"Didn't she cheat on you with Aaron and now she's with Aaron and now she's cheating on Aaron with you?" Kimberly asked and there was silence as all of tried to gather either head or tail of what she said; whichever came first.

"Or are you guys in a ménage relationship?" She guessed again and we all flinched. I shuddered at the thought.

Now that was one perverted thought.

"Okay, this is going downhill real quick." I muttered to Adam who was having trouble getting words out of this throat as his sister started coloring our situation with R-rated thought. "Now would be the best time to snap out of it Adam!" I hissed in his ear and that spurred him into action.

"No, she is actually with me. Aaron...well, that was cover to create evidence against Sarah." He blurts out and shrugged like it was no big-deal.

Real smooth, Adam, real smooth.

"You are as smooth as a chunky peanut butter, baby." I snapped at him with an annoyed eye roll.

"A--- What?!" The women exclaimed simultaneously and the hall echoed.

Great.

I was pretty sure Chloe would have started planning her way out now as the entire California must have heard their screams.

"Evidence, mom." Adam rolled his eyes as if his grandmom, mother and sister weren't yelling out our supposedly secret plans so loud that the Martians will sue us for noise pollution. "Sarah well she is an accomplice for my ex and----"

"Why don't---" I interrupted Adam's panic rant with a pointed glare, "----you ladies join us out of the party for a minute. I think it is better if we show it you rather than explain it now." Claire took a deep breath and looked over at Lorraine and Kimberly who was still eyeing me suspiciously, as if to make sure that I wasn't a two-way-tango for the previously mentioned gorgeous men. I shuddered again.

"Very well."

"Alright."

"Fine."

And like that, we strode along the deserted corridors in a herd of five towards the so called "watch-tower". I gripped Adam's arms in reassurance as we came to halt in front of a seemly normal hotel suit. I knew I probably looked like a drowned koala trying to hang onto the last eucalyptus tree branch the way I clutched Adam but I didn't give two hoots about it then. All what mattered was how comforting it felt to hold on to his powerful arms as I stood there, waiting for the world to crumble beneath.

Wow, I feel like a damsel-in-distress in a cheap romantic-comedy book.

Without waiting anymore, Adam turned the doorknob and pushed inside with me in his arms while the ladies followed us. No, the world didn't crumble beneath my feet but I did hear something crumble. Aaron was sitting in a swing chair watching a monitor while he chewed potato-chips, legs on the table as if he were in a freakin' movie hall.