Chapter 4 : The breakfast orders

*

We both climbed downstairs after I got refreshed and reached the huge kitchen. Huge, I mean HUGE! It was white with steel appliances that made it look clean and I marvelled at the state-of-the-art appliances. I slumped in the eight seater dinning table while Adam reached out to a note on the by someone. Probably Maria.

"Maria's got some other works to do. But she made the breakfast for you and me." He studied the note and sat opposite to me before crunching up the note and throwing it away.

My gaze fell on the covered plates, concealing what she had made. Curiousity had taken the better of me, I opened the plates and found hot pancakes and maple syrup. One of my faves and I suddenly developed a liking to this woman who I am yet to meet. 

"Yum!" I started digging in the beauty that was calling to me in my plate. As soon as I had a taste of it, I had to moan like a child. Wow! It was the best pancake I had ever tasted. I sighed happily and made a dreamy face. Adam noticed my expressions and said while he himself started digging in. 

"Maria's a great cook." He commented with a slight chuckle.

I nodded because my mouth was full of pancakes and I definitely didn't want to give him a glimpse of my breakfast in the process of digestion. I stuffed in a few strawberries inside, marvelling at how hungry I was. That was when a light conversation picked in. 

"I can never imagine trusting stranger I met yesterday, like you do." he commented at a point in our light conversation.

"Who is that stranger you just mentioned?" I cocked my head in question.

"I am a complete stranger to you. Aren't I?" He rose a quizzical eyebrow while smirking. Wow, looking this hot should be illegal!  Water someone, I am feeling his hotness here! 

"Nope. You are my friend." I assured him, swallowing my food down my throat along with a funny feeling of trying not to gape at him. I picked up the orange juice and chugged it down like a champion.

"But we had met only day before yesterday." He said dipping his head in his espresso.

"But we are friends. So feel free. Loosen up!" I cheered.

He gave a short deep, business chuckle and shook his head in mirth. "I build my relationships over years." He told me with an air of superiority.

"Okay then. Tell me your best friend." I challenged as I shuffled my butt around the hard wood chair in excitement. For a moment he thought. Then finally said, "MD of Whitwalls Corporation, Micheal Cross. My business partner."

"That is called a business partner. Not a friend." I said with a huff and a disappointed tut.

"Well, he is my friend as well." He argued.

"See? This is your problem. You don't even know the real meaning of friendship."

"So, the-friendship-professer-from-India...tell me about friendship." He said sarcastically but either way smirked challengingly.

"It is not about theory mister-I-think-business-partners-are-real-friends, friendship is a practical thingy." I smirked. "I mean really Adam?! Your business partner is your best friend? Are you even alive?"

"I am alive." He argued lamely.

"No, you are not. You are not living. You are simply alive for the sake of it."

"Can we stop this talk here?" He said with a grim and rigid face, as if a memory crossed his mind. His eyes hooded and his teasing smile fell, the kind persona taking a nose-dive to a shell of a man.