Chapter 1 : Elope to freedom

Dear papa and mama,
I really understand that you both are bewildered to find out that the bride is missing. I am really sorry since I am the bride. Papa, I didn't want to let you down. Mama, I am not disobeying you. But I have a life to live ahead of me. I can't spend my precious life cooking and looking after kids like mama did. I can't live with a person whom I have met a day before my marriage. I am 24, papa. I am not running away forever. I promise that I will return back after six months. I promise. Six months to live my life. Six months to taste absolute freedom before some Indian chauvinist comes and marry me. Please..please six months. Only six months.
Don't worry about my safety as I have backup plans here which I don't want to spill out right now because I doupt if that typical Indian behavior of chasing me down may come over my very sweet papa.
Your very sweet daughter,
Ria Malhotra.

I wrote the letter in a haste and tucked it under my pillow. No, not pillow. I yanked it and kept it on my table and placed a penholder on top to keep it in place.

I can't afford the rare possibility of my parents thinking that it was some kind of kidnapping or something and to find the Interpol at my heels.

My bedroom door slowly sung open, alarming me. I clutched my duvet and squirted my eyes to check who it was under the faint light of my bed lamp.

"Papa and mama asleep. Coast's clear." A firm figure appeared in front of me.

"Ah! Rahul, you scared the good life out of me!" I sighed resting my palms dramatically on my chest.

"Ha! A girl who is running away to a forgien country all alone, is panicking just because she saw her twin brother sneaking inside her room." He dropped on my bed. Rahul is my fraternal twin brother and not surprizingly, we look completely different from each other. He have brown hair and I have raven black. He have hazel eyes and I have green eyes (not joking, Indians do have green eyes but rarely)