32. Brownie Points

Justin Bieber - Company

(I know what you are thinking. But you HAVE to admit that the song is amazing....despite the guy who sung it is revolting)

(I am sorry if you are a beliber)

*

"Chloe..."

Adam acknowledged the mystery woman and all I could do was gape at the wonderful specimen in front of me. She was, let's face it, model-like gorgeous. You know, those women who make you green with envy at their perfect creamy skin and hourglass body.

Adam simply stared at her emotionlessly; as if she were some business client he had no interest in whatsoever. Whereas I was drowning in my own pool of drool at how perfect that woman looked. And for once I understood why Adam fell for this woman. Hell, I would fall in love with her if I were a guy...or if I were gay.

"Adam!" She was genuinely surprised. "It's been so long! How are you?"

Adam was silent for a while, staring at her dull eyes before he spoke. "I am fine. And I hope you are doing well too." His voice somehow sounded to mechanic, even for my ears who had heard the worst of his expressionlessness. Chloe's face fell for a moment before her eyes fell on me who was shifting awkwardly in my seat.

"You must be Mrs. Lexwood!" She beamed.

My eyes widened. "Um, no. Ria Malhotra." I couldn't contain my blush when I was referred to as Adam's wife. I gave her my hand and she took it readily with a smile. She seemed nice, so far. But this woman had this aura of a shrewd businesswoman who will tear up anything and everything for what she wants. Maybe it's just me being judgmental.

"Chloe Olmstead." She introduced herself with a jolly air, "Adam's girlfriend it is then."

"Yeah..." I trailed off, not knowing how to respond to that.

She turned to face Adam, who had retreated back to his business shell of a man. No trace of that man who was arguing about the best ice-cream topping just before. Or the man I cuddled with simply hours ago.

"Adam..." She began in a serious note, her smile slipping, "I am sorry for how we ended. I know you have a grudge against me---"

"I don't have any grudge against you." He stated in a tone of obviousness, "It is just that I have learned to be guarded around you. My trust is reserved and I learned that the hard way."

Translation: I don't trust you, you back-stabbing whore.

Chloe flinched. I almost felt sorry for her at Adam's non-committal tone. I know I should be giving them space or something but I don't think I can bear to see them from afar. My insecurity just hit the fan as soon as this goddess stepped into the scene.

"I deserved that." Chloe murmured. "I was stupid back then for not recognizing your love. But past is in the past and for the mistakes that I did, I can only ask for your forgiveness. I know I broke your trust and heart beyond repair, but I hope we can start in a clean slate."

There was silence for a minute.

"Truth to be told, I had forgiven you long back." Adam stated. Chloe seemed to be relieved to hear that. "It is just that I find it hard to get used to new people in my life."

"I am happy to hear that. Despite what you may think, I cared immensely for you, Adam. And I'd hate for our friendship to end in a harsh note. And I had suffered enough for all what I did wrong." She said, her eyes misting at the last part.