Chapter 7: Little Angel In Taffeta and The Frenchman

*EDITED*

***Ria's POV***

I came to realize that New York was this one giant rollercoster.

Life never stopped here, the buzz never died and the excitement would only escalate. It oddly reminded me of Mumbai...only with less interaction between cattles and humans. But what I found thrilling about New York City was that no one cared where you were going nor judge you for what you wear and look; the people here simply didn't have time. The mass of people moved like a never ending rush of river to waterfall, it felt liberating to walk with the crowd with a knowledge that my father's lakeys are not around to watch evey single action I made.

Freedom is one sweet feeling.

But every excitement needs to take a chill pill for a while. And that would take you to where I stood now; on the balcony of Zoey's apartment drinking a streaming mug of coffee and wearing nothing but one of Rahul's old t-shirt. A gentle breeze somehow managed to blow, despite the building that faced the apartment I stood in. 

When I was enjoying the calm and peaceful moment, Zoey barged in holding my phone that was wailing the blockbuster Hindi song I had saved as my ringtone.

"Just bury it down." 

I said to Zoey, to my own surprise. Afterall, I love my phone and I love that Hindi song which I placed as my ringtone. But this moment, I hated it. As I said before, I am taking a much needed breather from all the dramas of real life.

"I was gonna bury it down somewhere but..." Zoey confessed, "...but you might wanna check who is calling."

I grabbed the phone from her hand and checked the caller ID. Adam. Cool, he never called me in the mornings. I hastily accepted the call, placing the mug that was in my hands on the chair kept out in the balcony.

"Hey! Thats odd. You never call me this time." I said dropping to the opposite chair.

"I know. But its night here." He said casually, his husky sound becoming even huskier coming through the phone. 

"What?" I asked bewildered. "What do you mean?"

"I am in China in a business tour." He said lightly and there was a russle on the other side. "Came here yesterday. I will leave tomorrow morning."  My eyes widened in a shock as my brain huffed and puffed to let the little information sink in. He is telling me he's in China like he visited his granny's home.

"My granny is in Virginia. Not in China." He said suddenly, his voice laced with amusement.

"Shit! Did I say that aloud?" I exclaimed to my handset, embarrassment coloring my cheeks. 

"That you did." 

He replied with a deep chuckle, the transmission somehow making his voice sound a hundred time more appealing. Who am I kidding, his voice manages to make me go all gooey-eyed without being on the phone. I sighed silently. 

"But if you are that keen to know where my granmother resides, I could always take you home one thanksgiving."

"Its okay. But thanks for the offer again." I squeaked, looking like a tomato from all the blushing and humiliation.

Oh God, take me now!

"Ahem...By the way did I disturb whatever you were doing? I did call you off the schedule you planned."

"Schedule? What shedule?" I laughed, pulling my leg up the chair so that I sat Indian-style on the chair. "I had absoultely nothing to do and that was I am up in the balcony watching people going to legit jobs."