Chapter 39: A Smuggled Heathen Goddess

PLAYLIST---- Rudimental ft. Ed Sheeran – Lay it all on me

*

~Adam's POV~

"Man, you've got to listen to us. Okay, we might be responsible for her heartbreak, mental trauma and possible spiral towards depression, but that doesn't mean that we are here to ruin her life and future. I mean come on!"

If the situation hadn't been this grim, I would have face palmed.

We were standing in a mural passageway in the luxurious hotel where Ria was going to get married, with Aaron trying to unsuccessfully convince her brother that we are not here to ruin her life any further. Rahul looks like he's going to lose it any second and punch Aaron senseless. Trust Aaron to make things worse than it already is.

Agreeing to the blatant fact that my intervention is necessary if I have to move things fast, I elbow Aaron and move in front of him. Ria's twin's deep brown eyes on mine were unnerving. They seemed to be accusing and shone with hatred. I wouldn't blame him; I had hurt his sister quite a lot.

"Rahul, I wouldn't expect you to understand me but I request you to try. I know I had hurt her a lot and I deserve nothing, but for her sake...just-just let me see her. I wouldn't forgive myself if I let her suffer for my mistakes." My voice sounded unfamiliar to my own ears. It was pleading and even a bit desperate.

"Why should I let you anywhere close to her after what you had done with her?" He hissed at me. "Who knows what you will do to her if I let both of you in her life again."

I sighed. "Is that what you want it to be? Her to live her life in misery?"

"No. But she at least has a life now, albeit an unsatisfactory one. I am not willing to jeopardize that now. I know Vicky is a bastard but he will take care of my sister." He paused. "Sometimes, love just isn't enough." He told me with malice in his voice, the last sentence aimed to hurt me which I have to say hit the soft spot just right.

I had loved Ria, but not enough to trust her.

"You are right. I am guilty of loving her without giving her my trust but one chance is all I am asking to make it up for her. I just want to talk to her and I will not harm her marriage or her future. If she doesn't want me back in her life, I will walk away without a commotion. I give you my word for that."

I noticed the way his muscles relaxed from underneath his suit-coat and I realized that I had managed to get through his defenses. But even then my heart accelerated at the thought of having to walk out of Ria's life if she figures out that she doesn't need a coward in her life. Despite the promise I had given him, something tells me that I wouldn't be able to walk out of her life even if I wanted to.

Only I can hope for her is to accept me; flaws and all. Because I don't know what I would do if she rejects me. Swallowing my growing insecurities, I tried to keep a straight face as I watched Rahul's eyes flicker in internal debate.

"Very well." He sighed, suddenly defeated. "I will take you to her but I must have your word not to push her past her limits. And I don't want any damages done to this marriage, whether she accepts you or not. This is her last lifeline to leading a normal life and I will not let anyone ruin that for her." I nodded curtly.

"You have my word."

He turned about on his heels and strode further down the hall. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. A part of the war has been won. Now all that was left was to confront Ria, which was the war itself. My mind seemed to spin with so many thoughts. I shook my head, my eyes fixated on the carpet. I needed to stay focused if I need this to work, not a time to succumb to my fears.