Chapter 56

Ethan, Connor and Will are inside the room, covered in paint

Ethan, Connor and Will are inside the room, covered in paint. 'You guys couldn't have got cleaned up before we got here?' Shaylynn asks. 

''What can we say. We've been very busy.' Ethan jokes. 

'Where's Dr Choi?' Peter asks.

'He had to leave.' Will tells him.

'Come on, we haven't seen her yet.' Connor smiles walking over to Sam. 

'She's asleep, so I'll place her in the cot.' Sam tells them. She walks over to the cot and places Aimee-Leigh in. Connor, Will and Ethan all gather round.

'She's your double.' Ethan smiles.

'That's something we call genetics.' Hank laughs.

'I'd never thought I'd be where I am today a year ago.' Sam says.

'How do you mean?' Will asks, curious. 

'26. Engaged to be married and a newborn baby.' Sam tells them.

'26? I thought you were 25.' Connor says.

'Birthdays Rhodes. Birthdays.' Sam laughs. 'Wait, Shaylynn, you're OK with him being here?' 

'Yeah, we made up.' Shaylynn smiles.

'Kelly?' Sam asks.

'Likewise, we made up.' Kelly replies and Sam smiles.

'Good.' She grins. 

'When was your birthday?' Will questions. 

'4th July.' Sam informs him. 'Since it being my first birthday since Justin was killed, I wanted it to just be a family celebration.' 

The next day, Peter has to go back to work, and since Sam is still on maternity, she decides to head to the firehouse to introduce Aimee-Leigh to everyone. Shaylynn arrives at the house. She knocks and Sam answers it, holding Aimee-Leigh and feeding her. 'How'd you open the door?' Shaylynn asks, seeing that both her hands are full. 

'A magician never reveals their secrets.' Sam jokes. 'I put the bottle down, opened the door slightly and then picked it back up before I pulled the door open.' 

Right, are you ready to go?' Shaylynn asks.

'Yeah, I'll just pop her in the buggy, grab my coat and bag. It's looks like she's finished her bottle now anyway.' Sam responds. She walks in and so does Shaylynn, she puts the bottle in the kitchen and winds Aimee-Leigh. Once she's done that, she puts Aimee-Leigh in the buggy, puts everything she needs into the changing back and puts that, along with her handbag, over the handles and puts her coat on. She then grabs her phone, puts her into her pocket and they leave. 

When they arrive at 51, Connie tells them that everyone is on a call. When everyone gets back they hear crying. 'Is that a baby?' Cruz asks.

'Yeah, Shaylynn said that Sam will swing by with Aimee-Leigh.' Kelly nods. Everyone walks into the common room and sees Sam standing, bouncing up and down trying to calm Aimee-Leigh. 'I forgot how loud new borns are.' Kelly laughs.

'Yeah, well. You can blame your wife for that.' Sam laughs.

'What did you do?' Kelly groans. She doesn't answer, only laughs, so he turns to Sam. 'What did she do?'

'She tried to clean up and dropped some pans on the floor. Then as she was going to pick them up, she knocked some cutlery from the work surface.' Sam exclaims.

'Thank God for that.' Kelly sighs. 'I thought she would have tried to show her one of her rifles.'

'Oh she tried.' Sam tells him. Aimee-Leigh calms down and yawns. 'All that crying has tired you out hasn't it?' She says to her daughter. She then turns to Shaylynn. 'You really need to stop talking about weapons and guns the way you talk about shoes and clothes.' She tells her sister. Everyone had gathered around Sam. To get a peak at the baby. 'Chill out guys you can all have a hold.' She hands Aimee-Leigh over to Herrmann.

After half an hour, everyone has had a hold of Aimee-Leigh, just in time for a call to come in. Kelly hands Aimee-Leigh back over to Sam. 'Will you be here when we get back?' He asks her.

'No. I'm going to head to the district. Only Erin and dad have seen the baby.' Sam responds. 'Now go save lives Uncle Kelly.' Sam says in a baby tone, whilst holding Aimee-Leigh in front of her face (obviously supporting her head). Kelly laughs and runs away to squad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~