Chapter 9

The next day, Amy is discharged. Sam takes her to a daycare center before heading to the district.

When she arrives she heads up to intelligence, everyone is at their desks and when Hank sees Sam arrive, he walks out of his office. 'Where's Amy?' Kim asks as Sam stands where everyone can see her.

'I've dropped her off at daycare.' Sam replies. 'Anyway, Nathaniel Rossetti. Went missing yesterday along with his partner Beth Johnson.' 

'Why does the name Nathaniel and Beth ring a bell?' Kevin asks. 'Like as partners?' 

'Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds?' Sam says and Kevin nods. 'Anyway, back to the case at hand. Hinks left another note and we may have a motive. Hinks' father had an affair with Nate's mom when Hinks was 10, right before he started the fires. He found out, got into an argument and later that night, he started his first fire. She gave birth to the consequential baby a few months before she met Nate's dad and a few years before Nate was born. As far as I know, he is clueless about all of this.' Sam explains. 'As for the note, Stop looking for me or Amy will never see her precious mommy or daddy again. Hinks might not know about his half brother or sister so this could just be a... a bribe if you want to call it that.' 

'Given your experience, where would they be?' Ruzek asks and something snaps in Sam.

'GPS.' She mutters. 

'GPS?' Hank asks confused. 

'We had this undercover assignment. We attached a tracker inside the heel of his shoe. If he's wearing that shoe now and hasn't taken the tracker out, we can find him.' Sam tells them as she sits at her desk and opens up her laptop. She brings up the FBI GPS tracker program and puts the serial number in. She then sends a picture of Hinks to everyone's phone. 'Got it. Warehouse on 6980 Carpenter Street. I've sent a picture of Hinks to your phones.' 

'Let's roll out.' Hank says. They all get their coats on, head down to their vehicles and go to the scene. Before they get out of their cars, they put their vests on and wait a few minutes. 

'Let's go.' Hank says over the radio. Once they are all together Hank assigns them to where they need to enter. 'Burgess, Al, take the back. Halstead and Erin take the left side, Ruzek, Atwater, take the right side. Sam, we'll take the front.' Everyone nods and goes to their designated areas. 'On three.' Voight says once more into his radio. 'One.Two.Three.' and with that Sam, Kevin, Jay and Burgess all force the doors they are by open, and everyone runs in. 

'FBI!' Sam shouts. 

'CPD!' Erin and Jay shouts on the other side of the building. Sam and Hank come across a door that's locked shut, Sam gives Hank a look which warns him to stand back. He does so and Sam kicks the door down.

'You're going to break your foot doing that one day.' Hank warns her when she looks back.

'I know but it releases so much adrenaline.' Sam laughs. She turns back and looks into the room. She can hear muffled screams. 'Can you hear that?' She asks and he nods. They look around the room and see Nate and Beth tied to chairs with duct tape over their mouths. How very cliché. Sam thinks to herself. She unties Nate whilst Hank unties Beth.

'Sam. Thank god.' Nate sighs with relief as they hug. 'How'd you find us?'

'GPS.' Sam smirks.

'How though?' He asks confused. Then he realises the tracker still in his shoe. 'Oh.' He laughs.

'We've got them.' Sam radios to everyone.

'Place is clear. No-one else is here.' Olinsky radios back.

'Sam.' Beth states.

'It was Hinks.' Nate informs her. He sees the anger boil up inside of Sam. Then he realises his daughter wasn't with them. 'Amy!' He cries in a panicked tone.

'Is fine.' Hank reassures him. 'I promise.'

'Thanks guys.' Beth smiles.

'All part of the job Beth.' Sam smiles. Hank and Sam then take them outside where the rest of the team is waiting. 'It was Hinks. This son of a bitch will go down for what he has done. Forever and I don't care if he's six foot under. He will pay for this.'