Chapter 23

Iain and Jez walk into the ED wheeling Sam in on the gurney and Ethan and Jacob join them. 'Hiya Ethan. This is Sam Voight. 25. Passenger in the RTC. She wouldn't let us immobilize her. She has pain in her abdomen and a queried fractured left distal radius, which we've put into a vacum splint. Other than that all obs are normal.' Iain tells them. 

'She was also KO'd at the scene.' Jez adds. 

'Cubicles please.' Ethan tells them. Iain and Jez nod and then wheel her through to cubicles. Once Sam is in cubicles and moved onto the bed, Iain and Jez leave. 'Hi Sam. My name's Dr Hardy but you can call me Ethan and this is Jacob.' Ethan introduces them. 'Jacob can we get FBCs, U&Es and LFTs please?' Ethan asks. Jacob smiles, nods and walks over to Sam's side to do the blood draws. 'You were knocked out. It would of been ideal to immobilize you.' 

'My neck wasn't hurting, I didn't have a headache.' Sam tells them. 

'Are you a doctor?' Jacob asks shocked.

'No. Trained EMT.' Sam replies.

'American?' Jacob asks.

'Yeah. I'm part of the FBI counter terrorism task force in Chicago, Illinois. We have to either be trained in basic first aid or become a qualified EMT.' Sam explains as Ethan examines her wrist and she winces in pain. He then checks her abdomen.

'Abdomen is normal. Could just be from the pressure from the seat belt. Can we get an x-ray of the wrist please Jacob?' Ethan asks and Jacob nods, by now, he's taken the blood. He notices an injection mark on Sam's neck. 

'Dr Hardy.' He says and Ethan walks to him and looks at it. 

'How'd you get this Sam?' Ethan asks her. Before she can answer Cal walks in. 

'Sorry to interrupt. I'm Dr Knight. I'm treating Martin Hinks. He would like to see you before we admit him.' Cal tells him. 

'Is he your father?' Ethan asks. 

'No! God no!' Sam exclaims. 'Look you need to get the police here.' 

'Why's that?' Jacob asks confused.

'A few days ago, my sister and myself heard some screams from a house. We went over to check. I checked downstairs, she checked upstairs. When I couldn't find anyone downstairs, I checked in the basement. As I was leaving, I was attacked from behind and something stuck in my neck. That house belongs to Martin Hinks. He's been on the FBI's radar for ten years. He's a domestic terrorist!' Sam informs them.

'I'll call the police and get these bloods sent up to the lab.' Jacob says and walks out.

'What do I do?' Cal asks.

'Get him admitted but put into a separate room. Have someone with him at all times.' Sam tells him. He nods and walks out.

Meanwhile, Kelly, Shaylynn and Hank have arrived in Holby. Just to be sure, they head to the ED. They rush in and walk to the desk. 'Hi. How can I help?' Noel asks.

'Has Samantha Voight been brought in?' Shaylynn asks and Noel checks his computer. 

'Yes.' Noel nods and Jacob walks behind him. 'Jacob. This is...' 

'Shaylynn.' Shaylynn finishes. 'We're family of Samantha Voight.' 

'Yeah. She was in an RTC, nothing serious just some abdominal pain and probably  fractured wrist.' Jacob explains. 'She was brought in with Martin Hinks. She told me to call the police and implied that he abducted her.' 

'He did.' Hank nods. 'We'll explain everything later.' Jacob nods and takes them to see Sam. 'Hey kiddo.' Hank smiles when they walk into the cubicle.

'Dad!' Sam exclaims as they hug. She then hugs Shaylynn and then Kelly.

'I'm sorry. I'm confused at what's going on.' Ethan says.

'We'll explain later.' Hank, Shaylynn,Kelly and Sam all say together.

'OK.  Right we we have to take Sam for her X-ray now.' Ethan repsonds. Before they walk out, Cal joins.

'Police are in reception.' Cal notifies her.

'I'll go and explain the situation.' Hank says before walking away. Jacob then joins and takes Sam for her x-ray with Shaylynn and Kelly staying close. After her x-ray it is confirmed that she has a fractured wrist.

Within half an hour,  Sam has a cast on and is told to get it checked a few days after she lands in Chicago. The local police have Martin in custody, but staying on the keller ward, until they can get him safely transported back to the states. 'So. How did you find me?' Sam asks Shaylynn as Ethan and Jacob run some final tests.

'We thought logically and came here first. We have some news.' Shaylynn tells her.

'We think Martin took you because he had a child at 20. Who would obviously be 25 now. He could have a fascination with you because of that and that's also maybe why he abducted the kids. Sam. We have enough evidence to put him away for life.' Charlie then walks in and hands a sheet of paper to Ethan.

'Charlie?!' Sam exclaims.

'Hey!' Charlie says back once he realises who he's talking to.

'How do you know each other?'  Jacob asks.

'Remember when I was on holiday in Barry about a year ago?' She asks Shaylynn and Hank and they nod. 'Well Charlie was there. I fell and sprained my ankle pretty badly and he helped me to the hospital. It was discovered I'd had a few broken bones in my foot.'

'We have your blood tests results back. Is it aright to discuss them in front of your family?' Ethan asks and Sam nods. 'Everything else is normal but we did a routine pregnancy test. It came back positive. Congratulations.' He smiles.

'Who's?' Hank asks. Half annoyed. Half glad.

'Peter Stones.' Sam says looking at him. 'Please don't get involved with it it dad. I'm 25.'

'I'm happy for you.' Hank says hugging her.

'That goes for you too Shaylynn.' Sam laughs.

'I don't know what you mean.' Shaylynn repsonds, acting clueless.

'Congratulations Sam.' Charlie smiles. Sam nods before Charlie gets back to work.

'I had sex like a week and a half ago. They say you're not actually pregnant until the third or forth week.' Sam says confused.

'That's most likely the stage that you're at. Make an appointment gynaecologist once you are back in Chicago.' Ethan replies. 'We can get you discharged now.'

'Thank you.' Sam nods.

'No problem.' Ethan smiles.

'All part of the job.' Jacob adds.

A few days later and some FBI agents have arrived in Holby to escort Martin back to the states. He had a lucky escape from the RTC. A concussion and a few broken ribs. The FBI agents take Martin by their private jet whilst Shaylynn, Sam, Kelly and Hank go in the organisation's jet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~