Chapter 24

Once the agents escorting Martin land on the private runway at O'Hare, they take him straight to District where Erin and Jay are waiting to take him to interrogation. 

'Where's Sammy?' Martin asks as Erin and Jay take him into the interrogation room. 

'She's not arrived yet. Even if she has, she wouldn't be doing this.' Jay tells him.

'We've got enough to convict you of mass homicide and child abduction, so I'd think very carefully about what you say next next.' Erin tells him. 'Also, you abducted an FBI agent. I'm sure the jury wouldn't agree with that.'

'I took care of her. It's not that big of a deal.' Martin shrugs. 

'You abducted an FBI agent, on the execution of her duties!' Jay exclaims. 'And not to mention a sergeant's daughter!' 

Meanwhile, Sam, Shaylynn, Hank and Kelly are landing at O'Hare on the private runway. As they are walking down the stairs, Sam spots Peter. She walks up to him and they stare into each other's eyes for a moment before embracing in a kiss. 'I have  something to tell you.' Sam tells him. 

'Whatever it is, I'm right there beside you.' Peter nods.

'I'm pregnant.' She smiles. 'It's definitely yours.' Peter walks in closer to her and kisses her once more. 'Probably, about three or four weeks.'

'Hate to break up the reunion, but Hinks is already at the district.' Hank tells them.

'Call me once you've finished and we'll go make an appointment with a gynaecologist.' Peter tells her and she nods. 

'I'll see you later.' Sam responds. She then kisses him one last time before she walks away. Hank, Kelly and Shaylynn follow her but as Shaylynn walks past Peter, he gives him a dirty look. 

Once at the district, Shaylynn, Sam and Hank walk up to the interrogation room, whilst Kelly waits in the break room. When they walk in Erin and Jay are sitting staring at Martin.

'Hello Sammy.' Martin smiles when he see's her walk in. 

'Erin. Jay. We can take it from her.' Shaylynn says. They both nod, stand up, walk out and Shaylynn, Sam and Hank walk in. 

'Why'd you take the children?' Shaylynn asks him. 'When we breached your house, I found a room with children. Some dead. Some alive. Some on the brink of death!' 

'You're looking at mass homicide, child abduction and assault of a federal agent.' Hank tells him.

'I didn't take no children.' Martin insists. Sam scoffs and walks to the end of the table. She then grabs one of his fingers with her right hand and bends it backwards; Martin screams in pain. 'I'm telling the truth!' Sam grabs another one of his fingers and bends that one backwards. Again, he denies. So Sam lifts him up by the shirt with her right hand and pins him against the wall.

'We won't ask again.' Sam snarls. 

'OK! I took them!' Martin gives up. Just then, there's a knock at the door and Burgess walks in. 

'Mark Jefferies and Special Agent Aaron White are here to speak to Sam.' Burgess tells them. Sam lets go of Martin, walks out and closes the door.

'Director.' Sam nods.

'Glad to see you back.' Aaron smiles.

'What's this about?' Sam asks.

'You need to come off this case.' Jefferies tells her.

'What? No! The Martin Hinks case is mine!' Sam exclaims.

'You're too close to the case now. He abducted you. We have enough evidence to put him away for life, just for the child abductions and homicide.' Aaron explains.

'You'll get a letter through about testifying and giving evidence in court.' Jefferies adds. Hank and Shaylynn then walk out. 

'Signed confession.' Hanks notifies them. 'What's going on?' 

'Special Agent Voight has been taken off the case.' Aaron informs them. 

'I'm going for a walk.' Sam says. 

'Keep your...' Shaylynn starts.

'Phone on.' She finishes. 'I will.' She then walks away and out of the district. She decides to go for a walk. She goes to Starbucks where she calls the hospital gynaecology department to get an appointment and then she calls Peter and asks him to meet her. Within half an hour, Peter joins her. 'They've taken me off the case.'

'Sam, if it was up to me, you'd still be on the case.' Peter tells her. 'At least you've nailed him.'

'Yeah.' Sam nods. 'I've made an appointment with a gyanaecologist.' 

'When's the appointment?' Peter asks.

'Two weeks.' Sam replies.

'Do you want me to come?' Peter asks her.

'I'd like that very much.' Sam smiles.

Over at the district, Jay gets an email on his computer. He opens it and is shocked what comes up. 'Erin, with me. We're going to talk to Lilly Hinks.' Hanks says as he walks out of his office. 'Where's Special Agent Rossetti?' 

'He requested to be taken off the case when Sam went missing. He then booked an extended holiday to Spain, according to his boss.' Olinsky replies. Hank nods and then leaves with Erin. As they do, Jay prints off the email and collects it from the printer and walks over to Kevin. 

'Hey man. I don't know what to do.' Jay whispers to him, handing over the piece of paper. 

'You need to tell her.' Kevin whispers back as he hands the paper back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~