Chapter 44

'W-w-why is there no heartbeat?' Sam stutters. 'I can't hear a heartbeat.' 

'The volume's all the way up.' Natalie says. 'It could be faulty so I'll fetch another one.' She then leaves. 

'I can't lose another baby.' Sam frowns. 

'Whatever happens, we'll get through it, together.' Peter tells her. Natalie then returns with another hand-held Doppler machine. She does the test again, they wait a few seconds and then finally, they hear something. The heartbeat. Sam, Shaylynn and Peter all sigh with relief. 

'Your blood work came back clear so we'll be discharging you soon.' Natalie informs Sam as she wipes her belly, puts her top back down and puts the Doppler away. 

'Has the driver of that Limo come in yet?' Sam asks. 

'Yes, he's been treated by he has been put in an induced coma due to traumatic brain and internal injuries.' Natalie responds. 

'Thanks.' Sam smiles. 10 minutes later, Sam, Shaylynn and Peter make their way out of Med. As they do, Hank rushes up to Sam. 

'Sam, are you OK?' He asks worried.

'Dad, I'm fine. It's nothing serious.' Sam tells him.

'You look exhausted. Go home and get some rest.' 

'I'm fine.' She insists. 

'What happened the last time you said you were fine?' Hank asks.

'Sam, what's going on?' Peter asks.

'I'll explain at home.' She tells him. 'Shaylynn can you come over later? You need to hear it too.' Sam asks and Shaylynn nods.

'I can come over now. Do you want Kelly to come, he'll just be finishing his shift.' 

'Why not. He's family now.' Sam nods. 

At Peter's, Sam, Shaylynn, Peter and Sam are sitting around the table. 'When Andrew McGraw was brought into Med, I told you that he told Hinks a lot of personal information about me.' Sam starts looking at Peter. 'One of those things was...' She then takes a pause. 'One of those things was that I was raped.' Shaylynn, Kelly and Peter look at her, sympathetic. 'I was 13, Justin was 15. It was December, he was meant to collect me from choir after school but he never turned up. I called him and called him but he never picked up. I was waiting for about an hour and a half. I couldn't get hold of mom or dad so I decided to walk home myself. It was obviously dark. They were doing roadworks so I had to walk through Millennium Park. I had this feeling that someone was following me; I walked around for a bit hoping that they'd go away. Eventually the did but a few minutes after I felt someone push me behind some bushes and the next thing I know, I was waking up at Med.' 

'You could have told me.' Shaylynn tells her. 'I would have put the bastard 6 feet under.' 

'Where is he now?' Peter asks.

'I don't know. CPD never found him.' Sam tells him. Peter then holds her hand. 'The reason Justin wasn't there to pick me up was because he was arrested. I was so angry with him. I was angry that he wasn't there when I needed him. Of course we made up and he promised that no matter what, he will be there when I need him until the day he dies.' 

'Why didn't you tell me?' Peter queries.

'I didn't know what you'd think.' Sam says.

'What are you talking about?' Kelly asks. 'He loves you. That's all that matters.'

'He's right Sam.' Peter nods. 'I love you and that's all that matters.' Sam looks at him and smiles. 

It's getting late so Shaylynn and Kelly leave. Peter and Sam have their dinner before cuddling up on the sofa to watch Mary Poppins. Once the movie is finished, Peter heads into the kitchen to clean up. Sam walks in and sits on the breakfast bar next to the sink where Peter is washing the dishes. 'Pass me some dishes and I'll dry them.' Sam offers. 

'You need to rest, like Hank said, you're exhausted.' Peter tells her. 'You shouldn't even be up on there.' He says as he lifts her off. 

'Hey!' She laughs and they kiss. He then places her down. 'I'll be in the front room.' She then kisses him once more before walking into the front room and sitting on the sofa. She then gets out her phone and realises she needs to call someone. 

'Hello?' The person on the other side says when they answer the phone.

'Hey, it's Sam. We need to talk.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~