Chapter 12

'You need to speak to someone about it then Sam. You can't bottle it up forever.' Peter tells her. 'I know we're not together anymore but I'll still be here for you.' Sam looks up at him and they get lost in each others gaze, the moment is cut short by a sharp pain ripping through Sam's abdomen and she groans in pain. 'You OK?' 

'Yeah.' Sam lies but then she gets pain in her back and she groans in more pain. 

'Right, I'm, going to go call an ambulance.' Peter tells her getting his phone out. 

'No. I'm fine.' Sam tells him.

'No. I'm calling an Ambulance.' Peter insists. 

'I'll drive myself.' 

'If you won't let me call an ambulance I'll  drive you.' Peter offers. Sam thinks about it for a moment and nods. They get up and walk to her, she gives him the keys but as she does she collapses. 'OK, let's get you into the back.' He says as soon as she regains consciousness again. As soon as she's in the back the pain gets worse and instead of groaning in pain, she's screaming in pain. Peter rushes to the front of the car, gets into the drivers seat and drives to Med. 

When he pulls up at Med, Sam is still in immense pain. Peter gets out of the car and shouts, 'Can someone help me?!' Luckily, Dr Rhodes is getting out of his car a few spaces down and when he hears Peter shouting for help he runs over. 

'What happened?' He asks as Peter opens the door to reveal Sam clutching her stomach. 

'She was in pain, collapsed before I could get her in the car. It looked simple at first but then deteriorated.' Peter explains as he picks Sam up and out the car and carries her into the ED followed by Connor.

'Maggie?' Connor asks, wanted to know what treatment room to use. 

'Treatment 4.' Maggie says as she follows them in. Peter lays her down on the bed and Connor hooks her up to the machines then puts some gloves on. 

'She's tachycardic, BP is 80/55, can we get a line of Saline in and some morphine?' Connor says. Maggie nods, puts her gloves on and proceeds to put the IV line in and hook the bag of Saline and Morphine up. Connor then feels her abdomen. 'There's a pulsating feel in her stomach. We need a stat CT. Let's go.' He orders. They then rush her to the CT scanner. As soon as the image of the scan pops up he turns to Maggie. 'We need to get her up to the OR now. Leaking triple A.'

'Are you sure?' Maggie asks.

'It's rare in someone so young but yeah.' Connor replies.

'I'll let them know you're on your way.' Maggie says and with that Connor and a few other nurses take her to surgery. 

Once Maggie is back in the ED she picks up the phone and dials the number to the 21st District. 

'Chicago Police Department. District 21. Sergeant Platt speaking, how may I help?

'Trudy, it's Maggie. Is Sergeant Voight there?' 

'No. He's on some business, but Olinsky, Lindsay and Halstead are here.

'Oh, OK. Can you send Erin to Med then please?' 

'Sure.'

'Thanks.'

'No problem. Bye.' 

'Bye.'

Trudy heads up to intelligence where Erin, Jay and Alvin are working at their computers. 'Erin. Maggie from Med called. She said that she needs you at the hospital.' Trudy says. 

'What for?' Erin replies.

'She didn't say.'

'I'll come with you.' Jay offers.

'Thanks.' Erin smiles and they both start making their way out of the district, to their car and to Med. 

Meanwhile, Peter walks up to the nurses station where Maggie is doing some paperwork. 'Where's Sam?' He asks. 'She hasn't come back from her scan yet.' 

'Sorry. I though someone told you.' Maggie replies and Peter shakes his head. 'What is your relationship to her?' 

'We used to date but we're friends now.' Peter informs her. 

'She's suffered an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. It's leaking so Dr Rhodes has taken her to the OR to do a repair.' Maggie explains. Just then Erin and Jay walk up behind them.

'Peter.' Erin says shaking his hand. 'What happened?'

'She's got an abdominal aortic aneurysm. She's in surgery now.' Peter tells them.

'I'll call Hank.' Erin says to Jay before getting her phone out and walking away. 

About half an hour later, Hank barges joins Erin, Jay and Peter. 'What happened?' Hank asks.

'Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm.' Erin tells him. 'She collapsed. Peter was with her when she collapsed. He brought her in.' 

'Thank you.' Voight nods. 

Hours go by and Sam is still in surgery. Peter went home shortly after Voight arrived, the whole of intelligence had arrived an hour ago after that,  when Kelly gets the message that Sam is in hospital he rushed to the hospital to make sure that is sister in law is all right. He's been at the hospital roughly the same amount of time intelligence has been there. Hank had also called Nate and he arrived half an hour after Kelly and intelligence. 

Finally, after 5 hours, Dr Rhodes walks up to them and they all stand up. 'Sam is doing fine. Vascular surgeons tried to do a minimally invasive procedure and it was a success.' He tells them and Hank sighs with relief. 

'What about work? She's an FBI agent.' Nate asks.

'She'll be able to do desk duty after being discharged but I wouldn't suggest active duty for about 3 weeks.' Connor informs them. 'You can go see her if you want.' He tells them.

'Thank you Connor.' Erin smiles as they all walk past him and make their way to Sam's room.