Chapter 42

'I will ask you once more.' Sam says. 'Why were you message Alderman Casey?'

'He's an Alderman, he'll do whatever anyone in his constituency wants.' William replies.

'Not getting someone to message him!' Sam exclaims. 'Fix up the local park, reducing crime, things like that.' Just then, one of the tech analysts knocks and looks in.

'Sorry to interrupt.' He says and Sam looks at him. 'Matthew Casey wants to know when he can have his phone back.'

'I'm just finishing now. I'll give it to him myself.' Sam says standing up and walking out. She goes to evidence and grabs Matt's  phone. She then meets him in reception and hands him his phone.

'I don't want this to go any further.' Matt tells her.

'That's fine, but we've got him on identify theft so he'll be spending some time in federal prison, regardless.' Sam informs him. Matt nods and leaves. She then walks to the main desk and calls up the Chicago Federal Detention Centre for a transfer. Within the hour, some guards arrive to take William away. As they walk out, some agents walk in with Andrew McGraw. Sam glares at him. 'Take him to holding. Seperate from Miss Cooper.' She orders. She's just about to leave when the phone rings. As the receptionist is otherwise engaged, she answers it. 'Director Voight.' She says.

'Director Voight, this is Dylan Caine from Cook County. Martin Hinks has requested to see you.'

'I'll come now.' Sam sighs. She puts the phone down and goes to her office to collect her coat, bag and car keys.

After about 15 minutes, she's at Cook County. She goes through security and is taken to a secluded room where Hinks is waiting. 'Sammy, I thought you weren't going to come!' Martin exclaims.

'Yeah, well, I thought I'd make your life hell one last time.' Sam smirks. 'Ava Cooper.' She sees Martin's face drop.

'She found you.' Martin aknowledges. 'I told her you'd be able to help.'

'Rather I found her.' Sam says. 'And I am not helping her. CPD have taken over the case.' She continues. 'Why'd you want to see me anyway?'

'I just wanted to let you know that this isn't over. A lot of people that you've arrested and charged are on my side.' Martin tells her grinning.

'Are you threatening a federal agent?' Sam asks. He stays silent. She scoffs and stands up. As she puts her hand on the door handle to walk out, Martin clears his throat.

'How's Shaylynn?' He asks. She turns around and looks at him.

'What?!' She exclaims.

'How's Shaylynn?' Sam sits back down and keeps staring at him. 'She's very pretty.'

'And very taken.' Sam says. 'Why?'

'I hear she's had a run in with a sex trafficker.' Martin says. 'And it's about to get a lot worse.'