Chapter 14

Sam and Shaylynn get out of the car and they both walk up the driveway and into the stalls. Kelly and the rest of the squad are at their table. 'Kelly. I think I found something belonging to you.' Sam smiles.

'Are you sure?' Kelly says without turning around. Sam looks at Shaylynn and motions for her to respond.

'She's sure.' Shaylynn grins. Kelly looks up from what he's doing and sees the rest of squad smiling at him. He turns around and as soon as he sees Shaylynn, he gets up and runs to her. He scoops her up in his eyes and they kiss. 

'How'd you get back?' Kelly asks stunned.

'I got Rob to get me the jet as soon as I heard about Sam.' Shaylynn tells him as he sets her down. 

'What about Butch?' Kelly asks. 

'He doesn't know. Yet.' Shaylynn replies. 

'I'm sure everyone would like to know that you're back.' Sam hints to Shaylynn. 

'Yeah, of course.' Shaylynn smiles. Her and Kelly both walk into the common room, hand in hand, followed by Sam. 

'Look who it is!' Casey says, turning everyone's attention to Shaylynn. 'Where you been?' 

'Long story short, I just had to get away. Personal issues.' Shaylynn says. 

'And shouldn't you be resting?' Casey asks Sam. 'Severide told us you had surgery.' 

'Yeah. Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, it wasn't an open surgery though.' Sam smiles.

'Well if you need anything, you know where to find us.' Gabby says. Since Shaylynn introduced her to 51, she had become part of their family. 

'Thanks guys.' Sam smiles.

'Sam, can I talk to you for a moment?' Gabby asks. 

'Sure.' Sam nods. She then follows Gabby through to the locker room. Gabby opens her locker and opens it. she gets out an envelope and hands it to Sam. Sam raises an eyebrow and opens the envelope. Inside is a card, with a red and white polka-dot handkerchief attached to it. Instantly, she knows it's Hinks. There's a note on the card and she reads it out loud, 'You'll never be able to stop what's coming next. You'll never be able to stop the devastation that will be brought to Rainbow Medows Daycare Center. I would scold him for his bad grammar, but lives are at stake. Thanks Gabby.' Gabby nods and as they are about to rejoin everyone else, a call comes in.

Engine 51, Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, Battalion 25, fire at Rainbow Medows Daycare Centre. 

Sam and Gabby rush out to the stalls. Whist Gabby runs to the ambulance, Sam walks quickly to her car where Shaylynn is. 'We need to go with them.' Sam tells her. 'It's Hinks.' Shaylynn nods and they both get into the car. They allow Engine, Truck, Squad, Ambulance and Battalion leave first before following them to the scene. 

When they arrive at the daycare center, they see Martin Hinks holding two young children hostage and the building is fully involved in flames. Whilst Boden goes to make sure that everyone is out, both Sam and Shaylynn pull their guns and point them to Martin. 'I knew you'd come Sammy.' Martin sneers. 

'Martin, let the kids go.' Sam warns him. 

'Not until you get me what I want.' Martin replies. 

'What do you want?' Shaylynn asks.

'My record wiped.' He says.

'Not going to happen.' Sam tells him sternly. Just then Martin pulls a gun out of his pocket. 'Put the gun down!' 

'Not until I get what I want!' He shouts. BANG! Sam pulls the trigger on her gun, shooting Martin in the shoulder, he releases his grasp of the children, drops his gun, puts his hand over the gunshot wound and starts to make a run for it. Luckily, Kelly sees what's going on and runs after him, tackling him to the ground.

'Oh no you don't!' Kelly says. Sam and Shaylynn join him. 

'Nice tackle.' Sam says impressed. She then gets her handcuffs out, Shaylynn pulls Martin up to his feet and Sam cuffs him. 'The Voight sisters are back in business.' Sam laughs. 'Martin Hinks, you are under arrest for arson and suspicion of child abduction.' As they walk back to the car with Martin, they see Casey and Herrmann carry out a body and put it on the gurney. Gabby checks for a pulse and shakes her head. 'Add murder to that as well.' Martin scoffs, Sam and Shaylynn pat him down and then put him in the back. Shaylynn sits next to him so that he doesn't try and escape. Shaylynn then gets in the car and drives to 21.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Keep reading Our City, Our Rules, ONE Chicago!