Chapter 43

'Talk.' Sam says. Martin just stares at her. 'Fine. Have it your way, but just like you told Ava, I'm a predator after it's prey, and believe you me, I will find out.' She then gets up and leaves.

As she's driving back to the office, she see's a police chase in front of her. She informs dispatch that she'll be assisting. Dispatch lets the attending patrol cars know and then gives Sam the go ahead. Dispatch describes the suspect vehicle as a grey stretch limousine.  Sam puts her sirens on and turns a corner to find a way to cut the suspect off. She's speeding along Michigan Avenue Bridge when she spots the limousine coming towards her. She stops, cutting the limousine off; the driver slams on the break a bit too late and crashes into Sam's car, spin, crashes through the railings of the bridge and hangs with the driver's cabin over the edge. As Sam was still conscious and not seriously injured, she gets out of her car and calls in for help.

Engine 51. Truck 81. Squad 3. Ambulance 61. Battalion 25. Car accident. Michigan Avenue Bridge. 

The whole of 51 get up from their seats, run to their vehicles and speed to the scene.

When they arrive, the area is already sectioned off by the police. Kelly, Matt and Boden start barking orders to secure the limousine. As the bridge is over the Chicago River, they can't get anything to support it from underneath. 'Severide, isn't that Sam's car?' Matt shouts over to Severide pointing to Sam's car. 

'Yeah!' Kelly shouts back as squad secure the vehicle. He then looks around and spots Sam talking to some patrol officers. 'Brett. Dawson.' He says to the two paramedics, motioning for them to follow him. They walk over to Sam and the patrol officers walk away. 'Sam, you OK?' Kelly asks. 

'Yeah.' Sam nods, smiling.

'I wouldn't be too sure about that.' Gabby says. 'You've got a nasty laceration on the side of your head.' 

'I'm fine.' Sam protests. 'Just focus on getting the driver out.'

'Shaylynn would kill me if she knew I didn't make you go to Med.' Kelly tells her. 'So go! Or I'll get an earful, as well as you.' 

'Fine.' Sam sighs. She then follows Gabby and Sylvie to the ambulance where they put a gauze pad on the wound and tape it. Kelly gets his phone out and calls Shaylynn to tell her what's happened. 

When they arrive at Med, they are greeted by Maggie and Natalie. Sam is taken to a treatment room, hooked up to the machines. Gabby and Sylvie say bye before leaving. 'Hi Sam.' She smiles. Like 51, ever since they found out that Sam is Shaylynn's sister, they've become really close. Natalie then gets out her pen torch and shines it in Sam's eyes. 'Any headaches, nausea, dizziness?' She asks. 

'No.' Sam shakes her head. Natalie then removes the gauze slightly, looks at the wound and then places the gauze back.

'Right, we'll get a head CT and a full blood work up.' Natalie tells her. 'We could do an ultrasound if you want?' 

'No!' Sam replies quickly. 'Do a Doppler.' Maggie nods at Natalie and they both walk out. As they do, Shaylynn and Peter walk in. 'Hey.' She smiles. Peter walks to beside the bed and kisses Sam. 

'OK! I don't want to see that!' Shaylynn exclaims.

'Erm... It's got to be better than hearing you and Kelly baby making at 6 o'clock in the morning.' Sam laughs. 'And baby making in his quarters at the firehouse.' 

'Oh yeah? When was this?' Peter smiles. Shaylynn shoots a glare at him and then sticks her tongue out at Sam. Natalie and Maggie then return to take Sam for her CT. Whilst she's in the scanner, Maggie draws her blood and sends it to the lab. She tells them to put a rush on it. Once Sam is back from CT and Natalie is happy that there is no cerebral edema or intracranial hemorrhage, she stitches the wound back together. 

'Now, you might get a scar.' Natalie tells her once she's finished. 

'That won't be a problem.' Sam responds. 

'We're going to the doppler now.' Natalie informs her. 

'Doppler?' Peter asks worried. 

'It's just a precaution.' Shaylynn reassures him. Natalie smiles, lifts Sam's top up, puts the gel on and moves the transducer over. They wait a few seconds.

Nothing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~