Chapter 54

The next day, Sam wakes up to see that Peter had moved over to the chairs during the night. She sighs and shakes her head. She looks to the clock and sees that it's 10am. She sits up and shakes Peter awake. It takes a few minutes but he eventually jerks up. 'Why'd you sleep there.' She asks him.

'It was too cramped and you've just given birth.' Peter responds.

'You sound just like Shaylynn.' Sam shakes her head. Sasha walks in. 

'Would you like to come and see your daughter?' She asks. 

'Yeah.' Sam nods.

'Great, I'll get you a wheelchair.' Sasha smiles.

'Wait, wait, wait, wait. What?!' Sam exclaims. 'I can walk.' Sasha then lets out a little giggle. 'Shaylynn told you that I must be in a wheelchair.' Sam acknowledges. 'Fine.' She sighs. Sasha walks out of returns with the wheelchair, Sam gets in and Sasha wheels Sam to NICU followed by Peter. 

They get to the entrance and they all scrub their hands and arms up to the elbow. They go in and they are taken to Aimee-Leigh's incubator. 'She's so tiny.' Sam says. 

'It's touching only at this stage.' Sasha informs them and they both nod. 'She weighed 2 pounds 9 ounces.' 

'I know it's early stages, but when will she be able to leave?' Peter asks.

'We normally say by what would be her due, which I understand would have been November 25th?' Sash says and they both nod. 'However, if there are no complications, no factors that would suggest complications after leaving NICU and she is at a healthy weight, which is around 6 pounds, she could leave early. Stay hopeful.' 

'Thanks.' Sam smiles. Sasha nods and leaves them alone. Sam puts her hand through the hand port. Peter sits down beside her and holds her free hand.

'I've taken some time off work. Mark is going to be taking over my cases. Well, I didn't book the time off, Shaylynn did.' Peter tells her.

'That's Shaylynn for you.' Sam laughs. 'I feel like this is all my doing. The pre-term labour.'

'Why would you think that?' Peter asks.

'Because of my meds.' 

'Sam, it could have been a lot worse if you had stopped taking your meds. You can't think that this is your fault.' Peter tells her. She smiles and puts her head on his shoulder.