Chapter 39

*Liam's Point of View*

I turned the radio from the annoying love song that was playing. I recognized Justin Timberlake playing on the new channel. I didn't know the song, though.

"And then I feel it in the morning.

You're still here in the morning.

I see you but you're gone.

Telephone a doctor: I'm not okay.

Bottom of the bottle

To fill this empty heart up.

A thousand proof

Don't change the truth.

I tried it but I can't.

I can't drink you away.

I've tried Jack, I've tried Jim,

I've tried all of their friends.

But I can't drink you away-"

I turned the station, aggravated with how relevant the song was to my situation. I was on the way to the pub, obviously to drink Marianne away.

"I wanna be drunk when I wake up

On the right side of the wrong bed

And never an excuse I made up-"

I just turned the radio off after that. My phone vibrated in the cup holder. I told myself I would ignore the call, but then I saw who it was from.

"What?" I snapped into my phone.

"Liam, if I find out that you're going to get drunk I swear to God I will-"

"Marianne, you can't do anything about it. I'm an adult. You can't tell me what to do." I replied bitterly.

"If we're gonna argue, lets do it in person. Where the fuck are you?" She asked angrily.

"I'm coming home." I muttered, looking for somewhere to turn around. I hung up on her before she could retort.

"You're such an idiot! You were on your way to a bar weren't you?" She yelled at me as I pulled into the parking lot. She got in the passenger seat of my car.

"I know I'm an idiot! You don't have to remind me!" I shot back.

She took a deep breath, attempting to calm herself down. "Why? Why the fuck do you do this to me? You got pissed off at me for dating another guy, so I stopped dating him. I got mad at you because you're putting your fucking life in jeopardy when you drink. I stopped for you, so why can't you stop for me? I don't put you through stuff like this. Why the hell do you have to do this to me?"

"Marianne, it was one drink." I said flatly.

"And you were going to get wasted until I stopped you." She crossed her arms.

"I'm an adult. I can do whatever the fuck I want to and nobody can stop me. If I want to get wasted then I'll fucking get wasted." I exclaimed. "I don't understand why you have such a problem with me drinking like the rest of the guys!"

"I don't have a problem with you drinking. I have a problem with you risking your life because you want to be like the other boys. I have a problem with you promising you won't do it again, and then you go do it again. I have a problem with you wanting to go get wasted after we get in a fight. Do you think that's gonna help anything?" She asked me. I didn't have any answer, because I just realized what I've been doing. "And on top of that, how would you like it if I went and got wasted with a bunch of guys?"