Chapter 31

*Marianne's Point of View*

I finished making the tea and poured it into two cups. I handed one to Liam and kept the other for myself. We awkwardly sat in the kitchen, listening to the bad weather outside.

Neither of us wanted to say anything. Neither of us wanted to start a fight. But what are we supposed to do? Just never talk again? I can see that working out perfectly. It's not like he's over here all day or anything. (Note the sarcasm.)

"Are you cold still?" Liam asked, interrupting the silence. I shook my head, even though I was a little bit cold. "But you still have my jacket on." He chuckled.

"Oh, sorry. You can have it." I said, taking his coat off.

"I'll go turn the heater on." He offered, and went to do that. A loud clap of thunder made me jump in fright just before the lights went out.

"Wonderful." I muttered under my breath. I left the kitchen in search of Liam. I walked down the hallway before running into something- or somebody. Who or whatever it was stepped on my foot. Okay, I'm pretty damn sure it's a person now.

"Ow, okay. That's cool. I like my foot being broken anyway." I said sarcastically.

"Did I step on it? I'm so sorry!" Liam exclaimed in the dark. "Where's the light switch?" He mumbled.

"The power's out. The lights won't work, genius." I told him.

"I knew that." He replied sarcastically. "Lets go to my flat. I have some flashlights. I don't know where Lou and Harry keep theirs."

"Alright." I hesitantly agreed. He took my hand in his, trying to find his way to the door. "Liam, you're going into the kitchen." I sighed. "Follow me." I ordered and took the lead, still holding his hand.

"How do you know where you're going? It's pitch black in here." He asked me.

"I'm just that talented." I replied cockily before hitting my hip on a bookshelf.

"What was that?" He inquired.

"Me running into the bookshelf." I said, holding my other hand in front of me so I don't run into anything else. I finally found the doorknob and opened it. "Wait... Why didn't we just use our phones as a light?" I said, realizing that would have been way easier and I probably wouldn't have gotten so beat up.

"I didn't mind holding your hand." He answered. I pretended like I didn't hear him, just because I had no clue how to reply. We got to his door without another word. He unlocked it and let me go in first. I took my phone out of my pocket and used my flashlight app so I could see. The first thing I noticed were the beer bottles on the coffee table and scattered around the couch. What the hell? Liam doesn't drink.

"Liam..." I trailed off. "What's with all the beer bottles?"

"Well, what do you usually do with bottles of beer?" He asked me.

You drink it...

"You've been drinking!" I gasped.

"Why are you so surprised?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

"Liam, you know good and well that you shouldn't be drinking." I said. "You're putting your own life in danger."

"What life, Marianne?" He scoffed. "You were my life. You still are my life. You obviously don't want to be with me anymore. What else was I supposed to do? Crying doesn't always make you feel better."

"You could have done anything else. You didn't have to start fucking drinking. Have you ever heard of alcohol poisoning? Did they ever occur to you? Did you ever think that only having one kidney would make it dangerous to drink? Were you thinking at all?!" I ranted angrily. "I don't care how fucking sad you are. You don't ever put your life in danger like that. Especially over some girl."