Chapter 36

*Liam's Point of View*

"So are you gonna talk to me the whole time or not?" I asked as I got in the car, after opening Mari's door for her.

"Why would I?" She snapped.

"I didn't agree to this. So stop acting like it's my fault." I replied, just as bitter.

"You sure as hell aren't complaining about it though." She scoffed.

"Because I love you and I'm willing to do anything to spend time with you." I said back. "We have to do this at least once a week for four months. Please just try to make the best of it."

She sighed. "Where are we going that I had to get so dressed up for?" She asked. Simon sent Lou over to deliver Marianne a nice dress and do her hair and makeup.

"No clue. He just gave me directions." I replied. We drove the rest of the way there in silence.

When we got to the fancy restaurant, paparazzi were everywhere. Of course, management has access to my Twitter. They probably tweeted about it, pretending to be me.

I had a set of rules for this date from Uncle Si. I had to be all gentleman-like, even though I always am. We have to hold hands as we come and go from the restaurant and look happy while we eat. He saws we're sitting at a table close to the window, so the paps can see us. But we somehow have to ignore the flashing lights that'll be coming from the other side of the window all night.

"Okay, I told you about the rules from Simon. So stay in the car and I'll open your door for you." I explained before getting out. I hurried to her side of the car, ignoring all the paps, and opened the door. Her annoyed expression was replaced with a fake smile. It was hard to tell that it was fake, but I could. I took her small hand into mine as we made our way to the restaurant entrance.

The strange feeling never left my skin while our hands were together. Even after we let go to sit down, I could still feel the tingling sensation. I wonder if she could feel it too. I hope so.

The dinner was nice. She actually started having a good time and laughed at my terrible jokes. On the way out, I went against Simon's rules and snaked my arm around her waist instead of holding her hand. But I guess that counts as acting couple-like, so it should be alright.

I opened the car door for her again and she got in. Once I was in my seat and buckled, she had taken off her jewelry and high heels. I chuckled.

A couple minutes into the ride home, I took my hand off the wheel and set it on top of hers that was on the console. She pulled her hand away and looked at me in confusion. My face turned red. Well, this is embarrassing.

"Uh, s-sorry. I didn't know your hand was there." I lied.

She sighed. "That wasn't real back there, Liam. I only acted like I enjoyed that date because I don't want to get sued by your management. Don't get your hopes up." And with that, she leaned against the door and stared out the window.

"Sorry." I mumbled. My face was still red and my feelings were extremely hurt. My heart was shattered. I didn't know she hated me that much. I thought she was just mad because of the contract.

When we got home, I tried to open the car door for her but she beat me to it. I settled with just opening the flat door for her.

"Lou, they're home!" Eleanor called out once we came into the living room.

"Oh, hey." Louis said. "How was it?"

Then it got awkwardly quiet. "I'll see you guys tomorrow. I'm tired." I mumbled before leaving with my head hung low.

*Marianne's Point of View*

"What the hell happened?" Louis asked after Liam left in a rush.

"Nothing." I replied.

"Bullshit." He disagreed.

"He tried to hold my hand on the way home. I told him I don't like him and not to get his hopes up." I snapped. Louis sighed.

"Really, Mari?" He asked. I shrugged. "Did you really have to be that harsh to him?"

"He needs to stop trying stuff on me and flirting with me. I've told him a million times that I don't want a boyfriend." I said back. "He needs to get it through his head."

"Love, he doesn't know what to do." Eleanor said, much softer than Louis. "He's hopelessly in love with you and doesn't know what to do with himself. It's like he's lost when you two aren't dating. It makes us all sad to see him like that." She explained.

"Yeah? Well, I was sad when he cheated on me. He can just learn to cope like I did." I mumbled in annoyance.

"Where are your shoes?" Louis changed the subject. I looked down at my feet and realized I left my heels in Liam's car. They're not mine. Their stylist, Lou, brought them to me. I should probably get them so I can give them back to her.

"I left them in his car." I sighed. "I'll be right back." I left the flat and walked down the hallway to his. I knocked on the door and ran my hands through my hair while I waited. I was exhausted.

"Who is it?" He called from the other side.

"It's me." I replied. I noticed how deep his voice was then. Mine isn't high pitched, but it's definitely not deep. I guess it's just normal. The door opened quickly. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "I left my shoes and jewelry in your car. Can I have your keys so I can go get them?" I asked.

"I'll go down with you." He offered.

"No, it's fine. I can go by myself." I disagreed. I don't want to be around him alone since we're so awkward now. "I know you're mad at me. You don't have to come."

"It's dark outside. Do you really think I'm gonna let you go by yourself, even if I'm mad at you? I'm not an idiot." He shook his head, stepping into the hallway and closing the door behind him. "London at night isn't the safest place. Lots of bad stuff happens to pretty girls in this city."

I sighed and wordlessly walked to the lift. We rode down in silence and then walked to his car. I got my heels and jewelry from the passenger seat and then closed the door. He locked it with the button on the keyring.

I was going back into the complex, when he grabbed my elbow and stopped me. "Look." He said, just above a whisper. There was three guys in hoods lingering around on the sidewalk about twenty yards away. "That's why I came with you." Liam mumbled as we watched one light a cigarette.

"Thank you." I mumbled quietly.

"It's my job." He replied before letting go of my arm.

The funny thing is, it isn't his job. He's mad at me right now. He could've let me get my stuff by myself and get jumped by those thugs. Or he could've told me I should've gotten my stuff when we got out the car. He could hire the best bodyguards in the world for me. But instead, he goes to the end of the world to protect me.

"Why do you do this?" I asked while we were riding the lift back up.

"Do what?" He inquired.

"Even though I've been a bitch to you, you still take care of me and make sure I'm safe. You're always a perfect gentleman and do everything you can for me. Why?" I questioned.

"Because, I'll do anything to show you how much I love you."

************************************

So so so so so so sorry for not updating. School and basketball is taking over my life. This is short. I'm sorry :( please don't kill me. :(((((