Chapter 1

Just saying, Marianne is pronounced Mary Anne and Mari is pronounced Mary. Hope you enjoy! :)

***

"We think it would be a good idea for you to stay with Louis for a while." My mum finally told me.

"What? Why?" I asked. Is this just an excuse for them to get rid of me? I knew it would happen, but not so soon I guess.

"It's what's best for you, Mari." Mark, my stepdad, explained. "We just want you to become more independent and outgoing, like Louis."

'Like Louis'

All my life, I've been compared to him.

'She isn't as pretty as Louis is handsome'

'She can't sing as well as Louis'

'She isn't funny like Louis'

Don't get my wrong, I love my brother to death. I just get so sick of being compared to him. Sure, we have the same last name. But I'm a complete different person. He likes partying and drinking. I'd rather stay home and watch a movie or read a book. He fulfilled his dream of becoming a singer. I secretly sketch in a notebook. Nobody knows I can draw. I don't want anybody to know. I hate having attention. There's another difference between him and I. He loves being in the spotlight. I like standing back and hoping no one notices me.

"He's on his way to get you right now." Mum said with a small smile.

"Actually, he should be here any minute now. I recommend you get to packing." Mark suggested. I quietly obeyed and trudged up to my room.

I packed all my clothes first. Then I grabbed a duffel bag and put in my straightening iron, curling iron, makeup, shoes, purse, phone charger, sketchbook, and colored pencils.

I know what you're thinking. 'Don't you want to say goodbye to all of your friends?' What friends? I don't have friends. My friends are my colored pencils. I'm such a loser, but I like being a loser. I plugged my earphones into my iPhone and stuck it in my pocket for the three hour car ride.

I brushed my long hair, the same color as Louis's, and braided it into a side braid. It went a few inches passed my bust. I changed into Hollister navy blue sweatpants and a white v neck. No makeup whatsoever, besides chapstick. Who am I trying to impress? It's just Louis. I slipped on my dark brown Uggs just before the doorbell rang.

Here we go. A new start to a new life.

"Mari, you're brother and his friends are here!" Mum called up the steps. Someone barged into my room and tackled me in a hug. When I say tackled, I mean he literally jumped on me to where we were both on the ground. I froze since I hate having body contact with other people.

"You gained weight." I chuckled.

"Have not! You take that back, you senseless creature of the darkness!" He exclaimed. "I have been working out, and it's my huge muscles weighing me down."

"Okay, whatever you say. Now just get off of me please?" I asked quietly. The 150 or so pounds was lifted off of me and his hand extended to help me up. I took it and stood up also.

"You got everything?" He asked. I nodded. "Shoes?" I nodded again. "Underwear?" I rolled my eyes, but still nodded. "Your medicine?" My eyes went wide. That's what I forgot.

My medicine was for when my Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD) gets out of hand. It keeps me from doing drastic things like drinking or cutting. I've had to take it since I was about eleven. How did I manage to forget it?

I grabbed the orange pill bottle and put it in my duffel bag with my other stuff. "Good. Now is that everything?" Louis asked. I glanced around and nodded. "Lets go, then. You can meet the boys." I stopped, afraid to take another step. What it I embarrass myself? "You'll like them, Mari. I promise. Just don't freak out if they try to hug you." He advised. I get really panicky when touching other people becomes involved.