Chapter 103- Welcome to the Family

I knew I needed to let go. I knew I should. I knew I should have stopped clutching Zhou Mi so tightly, gone to shut off the radio, and stopped being so frightened. But I couldn't. No matter how much I urged myself, my body wouldn't respond. 

Just let go of him, Melissa, I urged myself. But when the radio burst into static, so loud it almost gave me a heart attack, I still couldn't even move. Just calm down, Queen Be. You look ridiculous right now.

I relaxed my fingers. I was safe. I was underground. The school was the most sturdily built building in the whole town, and we were in the basement. Everything was going to be fine. 

I let go, uncurling myself from poor Zhou Mi. If I were him, I would be laughing hysterically right now. I looked like an idiot. I'd grown up with this stuff, yet I still cowered in the shadows every time. Why weren't they scared?

I went over to the radio and shut it off, then went back to Zhou Mi. I stumbled a little in the dark, cursing loudly when my shin hit the edge of the stairs.

I expected to hear him laugh, but he didn't. "Mimi? Are you still there?" I asked, trying to pick him out. It was a bit difficult in a basement room with no light. 

"Yeah, I'm here. Hang on, my phone went on energy-saving mode." For some reason, his voice sounded strained. But then his phone light came on, and I was able to make my way back towards him. "Come on, we'd better go to the others. Everyone's worried about you," he said, holding his hand out for mine.

I bit my lip. "But, the tornado..."

"We'll be fine. We can come back over here if anything starts getting close. Besides, Jung Ah is going to have a seizure if she doesn't find you soon."

I nodded, then took his hand. I was still afraid, but it was a really huge help that I wasn't alone. It went from a fear that paralyzed me to a slight shiver as I walked. We walked back up the steps, carefully, so I wouldn't trip, and then back up to the main hallways. Despite my mental urgings to stop being so freaked out, I clung tightly to his hand, as if I was afraid that if I let go, he'd disappear.

Eventually we got to the main center hallway, where the guys sat on the floor, huddled together, all looking like they were going to throw up. 

Jung Ah leaned against the wall, completely drenched, sobbing loudly, while Manager Kim tried to comfort her. Then Manager Kim looked up, and his eyes grew wide. "Minsung-ah!"

Jung Ah's head snapped up, and she ran and threw her arms around me. "Oh, thank God, you're alright!" She let go, stepping back. "And you're not even wet? Where were you this whole time!? I was worried sick. I'm your manager! If anything happens to you, I'm the one who gets blamed!"

I smiled thinly, then let go of Zhou Mi's hand so I could hug Jung Ah, drenched as she was. "It's fine, Eonni. No one's going to blame you for anything."

"And why on Earth didn't you call if you were going to go to the school instead?!"

"The cell towers were down. Nothing was getting through."

"How did you find her?!" Henry asked, jolting to his feet. He was soaked, too, and looked just as miserable as Jung Ah.

Zhou Mi looked nervous. "She's afraid of tornadoes."

They all appeared shocked, for some reason. "What?" I asked. "It's a crazy phobia. Why are you all looking at me like that?"

"You mean... you're actually afraid of something?!" Leeteuk gasped, open-mouthed.

"Yes, I'm afraid of something! I can't stand storms. It automatically makes me think of tornadoes. Why is that so shocking?"

He hugged me, despite the fact that he, himself, was quite wet. "Our Minsung really IS a girl! I was starting to wonder!"