Chapter 35

"I'm sorry, but uh... who are you?"

My heart just sunk to the bottom of my stomach right then and there. This can not be happening...

She stared dead into my eyes, which was filled with so much wonder. She needs to be playing with me, cause we can not end like this.

"I-It's me, Ethan," I stuttered. "Your boyfriend."

"No," she replied, stretching out her answer. "Grayson's my boyfriend."

I stared at her with my eyes literally bulging out. I then looked over towards Grayson, who had he same reaction as me. He looked even more confused as before.

I then turned back over back to Elena. She needs to be playing some kind of sick joke on me if she's still mad at me, but I don't wanna be played like this.

"Elena, not nows the time for jokes," I heard her mom say to her.

Elena stared at her still, answering, "I'm not joking mom. This guy Evan isn't my boyfriend, Grayson is."

"It's Ethan..." I corrected, and she looked back towards me. "And you seriously don't remember me?"

My heart was beating so fast right now, I have so many mixed emotions. I feel so sad at her not remembering me, but I feel angry at the thought of it. All of this can't be like this.

"Sorry, but I don't," she said plainly. "Well maybe I do..." she said looking away, and my hopes were brought a little up. "Wait, I don't know..." and that's when they fell down again. "My head hurts a lot every time I try to think."

"And I do have the answers for everything about this situation," I heard the doctor interrupt, looking through his clipboard. We all turned our heads towards him to begin.

"Well, what is it?" I asked with a bit of anger.

"Ethan," I heard my mom say sternly, in a tone for me to stop acting like this. I glanced towards her, not even caring. I almost don't even care anymore cause Elena can't even remember me...

"We ran some tests on her once she woke up not too long ago, just before all of you had came," the doctor began. "And Elena is being serious about how she may not remember some of you. This is because the test results have shown that she has retrograde amnesia."

I froze, amnesia? How can this be happening... So this is totally all true, Elena definitely doesn't remember me...

"What's that?" Elena's father asked.

"It's when someone who had gotten really hurt into the head, like Elena, which causes her not to remember some memories before her accident," he explained. "Elena must have hit her head really hard on the pavement for this to happen."

"When will it go away?" I asked eagerly. "How long will this last?"

"Well, it will go away naturally overtime," the doctor said. "And as for it'll last, it may take days, weeks, months, or even years. Sometimes never for very injured patients."

I was honestly so broken at this point. Elena is suffering from amnesia, which can take her so long to recover... On top of it all, she can't even remember me anymore in her life...

"I'll suggest her to stay here for a few more days just for some more tests and to see how she can recover," the doctor added. "I'll leave all of you now to talk things through," he said leaving.

I then just stood there, not even knowing what to do. I then went over towards Elena on her bed, with her looking intensely into my eyes. "You don't remember me at all? Not even dating me?"

"No, I'm sorry," she said a little shyly.

"What's the last thing you remember honey?" I heard my mom ask.

"I don't really know," she replied. "I was at school, and I was walking outside. I remember Grayson calling for me, and after that, I don't remember a thing."

"It was Ethan who was calling for you," I heard Grayson say.

"And you don't know why you walked out? Or before you did?" my mom added.

"No," Elena replied. "I feel like I do but I just can't remember."

"And what do you remember about Grayson?" I asked her, as she looked at me.

"He's my boyfriend," she simply said, which hurt me a lot inside.

"I'm not your boyfriend, Ethan is," Grayson told her, coming right next to me.

"He's not, I don't even know that much of who he is. You're my boyfriend Grayson," she said grabbing onto his hand with a smile. Grayson awkwardly smiled as they held hands, but he soon took his away.

"Elena, Ethan's your boyfriend, not me," Grayson told her. "Ethan's my twin brother, you first met him at the mall. You guys tutor a lot in math, and you guys are always playing around with Mackenzie. That's not us, that's you and him."

"No, that all happened with us," she defended, looking a little angry. "I don't know why you guys keep saying how Evan is my boyfriend!"

"Ethan..." I corrected once again.

"How Ethan is my boyfriend! I don't know a thing about who he is, and I don't want to believe it cause it's Grayson. I can't remember anything about him, and I don't wanna believe all what you're saying if I can't remember!" she yelled.

"My head hurts so much to think, and I don't even wanna remember," she added putting her hands over her face. I could hear her lightly crying, which made me feel awful inside, and I bet it was showing on the outside.

I just wanna hold her, and tell her everything will be okay, but I'm literally just a stranger to her... I can't do anything about this because of that. She only remembers dating Grayson, which I hate to believe.

I saw Elena's mom and my mom hold her and rub her back, telling her the things I wish I could do. That's when I stormed out of the hospital room, probably getting their attention.

I started walking in a fast pace, taking in all this information. I just feel so sad and heartbroken about all this, and I feel so lost with all of it.

It was until I heard my name being called, which caused me to stop. "Ethan!" I heard Grayson say.

"What?" I said bitterly as he reached to my spot.

"I'm really sorry," he told me sympathetically.

"Well you should be, since you're apparently dating my girlfriend now," I snapped, crossing my arms.

"Well what do you want me to do? Just break up with her right there? She's gunna be put in an even worse situation if I do that," he told me.

I didn't say anything, until he continued on. "I really would do that for you. I would do anything to try and get her to remember you. But I just can't right now and do that to her."

"You're right," I sighed. "But I really don't know what to do. I know I said that before, but now... I fucking don't."

"Just let it take time, Eth," he told me. "Let her warm up to you. Maybe she'll remember everything if you guys are spending time together. It might be able to jog her memory."

"But everything we did together, she only remembers doing it with you..." I said a bit down.

Grayson put his hand on my shoulder, saying, "I know. And that's all gunna change."

"How?" I asked.

"I'll help you," he told me, and I nodded. "We'll try everything we can to help her remember. Something needs to happen to at least have her remember something about you. Just trust me bro."

I nodded, trying to believe what he's saying. I want to trust him and try to help her, I really do. But it honestly feels like nothing will work... Nothing will work for her to remember me at all.

Maybe that's just something I have to believe, cause at this point in reality, it probably is just the truth.