Episode 2: Her Choice

I gave myself a poker face when I looked at myself in the mirror. Just this morning I received the Raimon soccer uniform, so I decided to put it on.

 Just this morning I received the Raimon soccer uniform, so I decided to put it on

"Not bad sis."

I rolled my eyes once I saw my brother. "Shouldn't you be helping dad today?" I asked. He gave off a laugh. "Yeah, I'm gonna help him out. Sheesh don't be stingy." I gave a small scoff. "Oh yeah, sis before I go." Jirou said, grabbing his bag and going to the door.

"Yeah?" 

"You changed ever since we got it Teikoku."

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Sorry... I'm... late..."

I entered the soccer room, panting out of breath. I knew I shouldn't have ate at a ramen shop... By now, I guess I could feel everyone staring at me. "That's OK, really." Otonashi waved it off. "It's natural for you to be late on the first day, so we don't mind." She said. "Ah, you uh," Otonashi motioned to the team, and I got the message after a few seconds.

"Etto... I'm Sakuma Rena. I-It's nice to meet you." I introduced, bowing slightly.

Afterwards, I managed to know the members; Endou Mamoru, Gouenji Shuuya, Someoka Ryuugo, Kazemaru Ichirouta, Kabeyama Heigorou, Kurimatsu Teppei, Shourinji Ayumu, Megane Kakeru, Matsuno Kuusuke, Shishido Sakichi, Handa Shinichi, and Kageno Jin. Wow, actually more than eleven but... I guess I can say they're an average team.

"Why did you decide on joining, Rena-san?" Otonashi asked me. 

"Uh...." I needed to think of something. Heck, I'll just tell a half lie, half truth. "Well, I like soccer and, I heard you're the strongest team, for now at least." I said, muttering the last part. I hope they didn't hear it though.

"Welcome to the soccer club, Sakuma-kun!" Endou said, cheerfully. 

"Now that we're all here," Otonashi started as she showed us something in her laptop. 

"What's this?" I heard Kazemaru ask.

"It's Occult Jr. High's soccer match!" Otonashi said with pride in her voice.

"Where, did you get this from?" I asked, looking at her.

Otonashi chuckled. "I got it through the Newspaper Club's intelligence network. Something like this is a piece of cake to me!"

Oh, so that's how she got the data... she's from the newspaper club. "That's cool." I said.

"Eh? Why is everyone not moving?"

I looked back at the video to see that the opposing team wasn't moving an inch while Occult was getting their way through. 

"They probably can't move." Otonashi said. "Rumor has it that it's a cause from Occult Jr. High!" She said, in a somehow scary way... 

"Curse?!"

Looking back at the video... a curse eh? Well, if there's a curse, there's something to break it out.

-----------------------------------------------------

I lied on the ground, panting. Stupid stamina, I thought that I trained hard enough for my stamina to last long. 

"Afureru namida, osaekizeru, imi no wakarazuni
Taimumashin ni yurarete, mata modottekuruyo..."

"That must be Kidou." I muttered before I grabbed my phone from my bag. I quickly answered it. "What is it, Kidou?"

"Have any useful data yet?" He asked.

"Besides Gouenji joining the team, none." I replied. "But I'll get some soon. Don't worry."

"Good. You know how the commander goes."

"Yeah. I know." I said bluntly.

"Oh, me and your brother will be dropping by tomorrow with Domon. Make sure that you get data while you're playing that match."

"Yeah. I'll see you then, Kidou." 

 "See you."

I hanged up. Seriously, if you were going to ask someone to spy on them why ask me to do it then...? I sighed. Not like I have anything better to do anyway... 

"Ayyy! For God's sake Kidou!" I shouted to no one in particular. I looked at the time on my watch...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..."I'VE BEEN TRAINING FOR THAT LONG?!"

*******************************************************

"Came home late again, eh?"

"Shut up Koujirou."

So... well, I got in trouble for going home pass 6:30. Dad gave me a long, and I mean long, lecture about this over and over and over again.

"Haha, you never change do you?" I heard him chuckling.

"Oh please. Not like you went home late." I said, having a sarcastic tone.

"You got me. So, going against Occult?"

"Yeah. I can beat 'em."

"Don't forget, you're in a new team and you need to get data."

"Yeah, yeah. Anyway gotta go. See you soon Kou."

"Bye Rena."

I put the phone on my nightstand and sat down on my chair, propping my elbow. 

In honesty, I was kinda confused.... I know I haven't been with them too long, but somehow... I sighed and closed my eyes.

 I sighed and closed my eyes

"Why is this so hard?"

It's hard enough that I have to spy for data, but the conscience of mine is really giving me a difficult job...