Chapter 1

Elena's POV

"What do you think of this outfit?" Sam, my current boyfriend, had asked me. Surprisingly, I'm kinda glad to say I have a boyfriend. Knowing that I'm the quietest, and not as attractive girl in school, I'm actually surprised to see myself with a boyfriend, meaning to be Sam. But Sam isn't your average boyfriend you'd think he'd be.

Sam, being the big and hot football star you'd see him as, isn't so sweet. We've been going out for 3 months, ever since June. Now that it's September, it makes almost 4 months, and these 4 months have been the most terrible things you could ever imagine. With him being all protective and abusive to me this whole time, it's hard to really get out of his trap. With the constant hits, smacks, kicks, and him making me feel even more insecure and horrible about myself has made me lose hope in trying to get away from him. Not only that, it's hard to even tell people about what he does to me, and to even get help.

It's like I'm his little servant, and every little thing I do wrong, he abuses me for it. It's not just any big thing that I did either. He goes all protective in front of everyone else, but when it's just us alone, that's when the monster comes out of him. It's really hard to get away from him, it really is, cause I've tried it many other times before. But other days it's like he can be the sweetest person on earth. I don't really understand it, but that's when I see the part of him when he actually cares for me.

Other than him, I should be the next person to introduce you to. My names Elena Pierce, and I'm only 16 years old. I'm starting to be a junior in high school, and which means I only have about 1 more year left to go until college. That's when I really hope I could get away from Sam...

On the other hand, I'm an only child, and I live in New Jersey with my mom and dad. I've lived here in New Jersey for my whole life, and I can't wait to get out of it so I can try to leave Sam. I don't have many friends, but only a couple of girl friends that I've had basically my whole life. But now that we're getting older, it just seems like they don't act like my friends at some points. Not only that, my parents are always out working late, so I barely get to see them. So that shows why I've been spending my whole summer with Sam when I met him at some end of the school year party in the beginning of summer.

Anyways, Sam wanted us to go shopping today at the mall before school starts, but mainly for him of course. "Elena!" Sam kept repeating. "Answer my question."

"Uh..." I started, not remembering or even knowing what to say. "What'd you ask?"

"Ugh, Elena. You're so fucking dumb," he groaned, gripping my wrist, and pulling me into the dressing room he was in. He quickly shut the door as I swooped in, and once he did, he pushed my body against the wall. He pinned me against it, and I suddenly felt my body fill with fear at this moment.

"Now you better understand what the question was when I asked you, right?" he breathed, and I silently nodded my head yes. "Cause I don't wanna make a scene in public, you got it?" he asked, and I nodded my head again feeling even more fear.

He slowly let go of me, and I felt a bit more relieved. "Now, does this outfit look good enough to help me get on the team?"

"Y-yeah..." I told him, with a bit of jitter in my voice. "It does." I let out a small smile to let him know that I'm not as scared at this moment, and he let out one also. "Good," he replied. "Now how about you go to the food court to get us some food while I pay for this, okay?" He then came up to me, kissing my forehead. I gave out a weak smile before leaving, but he then stopped me.

"Oh, and I need a couple dollars to pay for this babe," he added. "Let me see your purse." I lightly sighed before handing him my wristlet, and he pulled out two $20 bills, almost all my money. He gave out another smile as he handed me back my wristlet, and I gave him a small one as I was finally leaving. I was then making my way to the food court, getting in line for one of the sandwich restaurants. It finally got to my turn, and I ordered enough food for the both of us, mainly food that I know he would like, and I was lucky I still had enough money. I was then making my way to a table for both of us to sit at, and I instantly started digging in.

I was so hungry, that I was almost making a mess with my food and eating almost all of it. "Woah, calm down," I heard a familiar voice say. "You're eating like a damn animal. And I don't wanna be seen with you if you are." I stopped eating, and my eyes looked up to seeing Sam sitting in front of me, looking annoyed as ever.

"Here's your food," I said softly, while putting his food in front of him. He just looked at me taking his food, but didn't say anything else. I looked away, and slowly started eating my food again. Something probably happened for him to not answer me. "Is everything okay?" I asked him.

"Nothing your clueless self would know," he said a bit rudely in his voice. I felt a bit blameful after he said that, and I just tried to finish eating my food, also wondering why he seems so annoyed. "Why did you order so much food?"

"I-I thought you would like it," I told him a bit quietly.

"Well I don't," he spat. "I need to stay in shape for football. And you just look like a fat ass with you handling all of it." He looked at me with a serious face, and that's when I started to feel the tears form behind my eyes. But I can't hold it in any longer, or even let them fall out here in public and in front of him. I then stood up, saying, "I-I need to use the bathroom."

He suddenly grabbed tight on my arm, saying, "No you don't."

"I do, it's an emergency," I told him, hoping he'd believe me. He sighed, then replied with, "Okay, go." He soon let go of my arm, and I instantly started walking fast down the mall. The tears were already streaming down my cheeks, and I tried getting the most away from Sam right now as much as I could.

With all my crying and pushing past people, I finally landed outside. I rushed over to a bench, and sat down it with my face in my knees. I then starting thinking about all the horrible things Sam has said to me today, realizing the things he said could be true...

"Hey," I heard a voice say close by. I took my head up, finding where it's coming from. "Are you okay?" I soon found a boy who looks around my age coming near me on the bench. He had dark brown chocolate eyes, and brown messy hair. I even noticed he had a cute little freckle on his cheek. He looked pretty attractive from his appearance, but his facial expression looked so worried.

"I uh..." I started, getting lost in my thoughts about him. "I'm fine."

"Doesn't look like it," he lightly chuckled, and sat down next to me on the bench. I then started looking around us, hoping Sam wasn't out here. If he saw me talking to this guy right now, he would flip. "Who you looking for?"

"Oh," I told him. "No one."

"Now why were you crying?" he asked concerned. This kid and questions...

I started to wipe away some of the tear stains left on my cheeks, and said, "It was nothing. Something stupid."

"Well it seems like something serious by the looks of it..." he started, and I just stared at him. "Look, it's okay if you won't tell me what happened. It's just that I saw you over here crying your eyes out, and I got worried a bit..."

I stared at him a bit confused. "Why would you be worried for me?" I asked him. "You don't even know me."

"I don't know you, but what I do know is that a pretty girl like you shouldn't be crying all alone over here," he replied, and I even saw him look even more worried and anxious. I even felt a bit flattered when he said that about me, and it made me think less bad about myself. I gave out an actual small, real smile, and I saw him smile too, which looked amazing on him. Why am I thinking these things about him? I don't even know this guy...

"So you're gunna cry here with me?" I giggled, and he laughed a bit too.

"If you want me to," he chuckled, and I smiled a little towards him.

I giggled, and said, "No, it's fine. I should get going anyway," and standing up.

"But wait," he called out, and I looked up at him, with our eyes getting locked. "I never caught your name."

"I'm Elena," I told him with a smile.

"I'm Ethan," he replied also with that charming smile of his. As I started to walk away, he asked, "Do think we'll see each other again?"

I looked back at him replying, "I hope so." He just had that smile plastered on his face before I turned back around to walk back inside the mall, while mine was plastered on my face also. I don't even know this kid Ethan, but what I do know is that he seems like a charmer. I know we completely just met, but my mind just fled away from Sam once he started talking to me. It's just something about him that I felt towards him that made me feel like that about him.