Old Faces, New Places (Nouis)

I laughed happily, watching as Liam chased Zayn down the street. Harry was sung over Zayn’s shoulder, laughing crazily while trying to hold on. I was walking slowly, taking in the neighborhood. I loved this place.

As much as I loved Ireland, this was my home now. Or, my home was where-ever those three boys were. My band-mates, my best-mates, my brothers. Brothers by everything except blood. Family.

I watched as Liam made Zayn put Harry down. I saw Zayn shrug, before scooping Liam up and sprinting off down the street.

“Could you please spare a quid?” a weak voice spoke from a doorway, where a small body was curled up.

I don’t know what compelled me to step closer, but I did. It was a boy, around my age, maybe older. You could see the malnourishment in his face, his ribs clearly showing though his shirt.

But his eyes held a glint, a flicker of joy. I stepped even closer, before sending a text to the boys, telling them I was going home. Then I knelt in front of the boy.

“What’s your name?” I asked gently, pushing a piece of hair off his forehead, to reveal a gash the length of my hand. “Louis” The boys said quietly and I smiled. It suited him.

“I’m Niall” I said softly, looking over the cut. It was infected, badly. “Who did this to you Louis?” I asked, keeping my voice calm.

“I dunno, it was dark” He murmured, and I could see the lie on his face. He knew who did this, exactly who did this. “Can you come with me Louis?” I questioned, knowing the cut needed medical attention.

“Look mate, just give me a quid and bugger off” He snapped, standing up.

“No” I said firmly, watching as he stumbled past me, leaning heavily on the wall. I sighed, standing up as well and moving next to him just in time to catch him as he plummeted to the ground.

I held him bridal style, he was amazingly light. I carried him the two blocks to my flat, which I shared with the boys. He tried to pull himself out of my arms, but his muscles were weak, and you could tell he hadn’t eaten in days, maybe even weeks.

I stepped into the elevator, using my elbow to press the button for my floor. The ride took ages, but finally I was pushing open the door to my apartment. I headed straight for the bathroom, to help him get all the dirt off. It was caked over his skin.

I placed him down on the toilet, starting to run the bath as he stood up. “Please, I’m fine, thanks for all your help” Louis said, before starting to walk out. I gently hooked an arm around his waist, pulling him back into the room.

“You need to get that cut cleaned” I said sternly, pushing him down onto the toilet and returning to the bath, making sure it wasn’t too hot. Once the bath was full, I grabbed a towel out of the cupboard and handed it to him. “I can’t use this” He whispered, handing the towel back.

“Why not?” I asked, curious. “I’ll make it dirty” He mumbled looking at the floor. “Oh, its fine, seriously” I smiled reassuringly before heading for the door, “I’ll be right outside if you need me”.