Just A Couple In Love (Niam)

Niall stood nervously, waiting to get off his plane to head to boot-camp. It was X-factor 2010 and he was almost shivering with excitement. He couldn’t wait to get there, to meet some of the other contestants, to meet his roommate. He had only one regret.

He didn’t tell Liam. His friend and major crush of three years. Three years ago Niall had spent three months studying at an school in Wolverhampton as part of a school course. There he had met and fallen in love with Liam Payne.

They had spent the last three years speaking over Skype, but Niall had kept his X-Factor audition from the lad, not knowing why.

He had also kept his love for Liam, knowing Liam would never feel that way about him and knowing that telling him would only end up in heartbreak.

He arrived at the hotel, slowly walking inside and collecting his packet from the frenzied person in the lobby. Audition Number 232677 rooming with Audition Number 61898 in Room 21 on the 3rd floor.

He jumped into the elevator, hoping his roommate was nice and wouldn’t mock him about his sexuality, if the person ever found out.

He put his key card in the door, pushing it open slowly, knowing his roommate would already be in there. The flights from Ireland were the last to arrive and Niall’s one was the last one of the flights from Ireland.

He saw the silhouette of a boy typing furiously on his laptop. Niall could see the familiar Skype logo and hat reminded him that he was late for a scheduled call with Liam. He placed his suitcase in the door way and went back out to the hallway, logging onto Skype on his phone.

The call from Liam popped up straight away and Niall accepted, grinning when the familiar face lit up the screen. “Hey Ni” Liam chirped, as Niall inspected the surroundings behind Liam, recognizing them quickly.

“Liam, are you at X-Factor boot camp?” Niall asked slowly and a look of shock passed Liam’s face before he nodded. Niall let out a laugh, standing up and starting to open the door.

“Hang on a sec Ni, my roommates just arrived, must have been on one of the flights from Ireland” He heard Liam say, both through the phone and in front of him. He saw the now familiar silhouette turn around as he stepped through the door.

“Surprise” Niall whispered, frozen in the doorway at the sight of his crush. “Ni” Liam breathed, before sprinting at him and leaping onto the smaller form.

Niall didn’t think, when Liam jumped on him he thrust his lips to Liam’s hoping for the best. To his surprise Liam kissed back furiously, passionately.

They broke apart a few minutes later. “You have no idea how long I’ve been waiting to do that” Liam breathed into Niall’s shoulder as they collapsed onto the couch. “Me too” Niall replied, breathing in Liam’s scent, one he hadn’t smelt in years.

Fate was in his favor that night and then again in the days that followed, when he was put in a band with Liam and three other boys. They went on to become pop sensation One Direction, with two best-selling albums and two sold out tours. And they did it all together, just a couple in love.