Theo & Violet [Christmas Edition]

Theo's POV -

The familiar scent of cinnamon and cooked apples settled throughout the previously cleaned treehouse. Fire crackled nearby, and through the corner of my eye I observed orange flames licking at the recently cut wood. In addition, the newly baked gingerbread cookies created by Violet and Haley perched on the marble counter in the kitchen, anticipating my arrival.

However I was finding it increasingly difficult to enjoy the joyful Christmas spirit surrounding me; as the case I had been working on was simply devouring me alive. Three days ago I had collected the papers from Paisley, who had kindly warned me of the long and painful information I'd be covering.

Now, I was wasting my Christmas locked away in my office, slaving away at yet another situation. Don't get me wrong, I love my job. I get to meet extraordinary people, save civilians' lives, and of course witness my gorgeous wife share the same passion as me.

I just wish I could be around my family more; and that includes the rest of S.H.A.D.E. Grinding my teeth, I bow my head in concentration. The case was simple, yet perhaps difficult to solve. A family of four had been woken up by a loud ruckus in the kitchen below them, therefore the father had bravely taken an umbrella from beside his bedroom door. He had crept downstairs, making almost no noise, before being located by a male and female Bull. Bang. The father was shot to the ground, found by his family only moments later.

The couple were gone, no traces left behind, apart from the dead man on the floor, with the unmistakable bullet hole piercing through his head.

I shuddered in my seat. Since our last encounter with Chloe, S.H.A.D.E. Had not been attacked once, which calmed me deeply. I couldn't even imagine what'd happen if my family were taken from me; or if I was taken from them.

Just reading about other people's lives being destroyed brought a fire within me to carry on, to prove justice towards the good people in the world.

A knock sounded at the door.

"Come in." I said groggily, feeling completely isolated from everyone. Anna and Lexie stood smiling at the door, their arms hooked around each other in a friendly embrace. "Hey girls, what can I do for you?" I questioned, feeling the beginning of a pounding headache attack my temples. "Theo, it's Christmas, get your arse out of this dusty room and to Violet. Haley will not shut up about you." Anna ordered, her hands on her hips in a powerful stance. "Come on, Theo. Violet made apple crumble." Lexie coaxed me, aware of my new favourite dish.

Violet made a mean apple crumble.

Maybe I could just... See them. Yeah, that'd be okay, right? Just, wish my family a merry Christmas before getting back to work. And have a bite of apple crumble and custard.

"Okay, I'll come, just hold on a second." I breathed, stacking a collection of papers and tucking them away in a draw before hurriedly locking it. Tucking the key in my pocket, I stood up and rubbed my sore neck.

Following my sister and her best friend, I entered the warm living area, the scent of cinnamon stronger than ever.

She sat by the fire, the flickering flames casting mysterious shadows across her golden skin. With pouted lips, she gently fondled Haley's similar lock, forming a small braid before restarting. The scene was almost picturesque, just too perfect to spoil.

"Daddy!" My daughter squealed, leaping from Violet's lap before flinging herself into my extended arms. "Princess, don't you look beautiful." I replied, grinning happily. She wore a Christmas themed red dress, which fit her five year old body perfectly. "Daddy, look. I made gingerbread for you. There's a special heart one with smarties on it!" She exclaimed excitedly, yanking my hand to coax me towards the kitchen. "In a minute, okay?" I laughed, scooping her up in my arms and dancing around as the tinkle of Christmas music played in the background.