Chapter 37

Violet's POV -

Sophie gets comfortable on one of the chairs in the kitchen and I follow her lead. I listen as she explains her story.

"When I was 16, my older brother, Alexander who was 18 at the time ran away from home. It was a huge deal, there were missing posters everywhere and basically our family was panicking. When he didn't come home after a week, we were all so scared.

You're probably wondering why he ran away, but I'll get back to that later. Anyway, when he left home, I guess I got a little depressed. It wasn't full on 'taking tablets every day' but I didn't like leaving my room or socialising.

Me and my brother were really close, we did everything together, even when he turned 18 and he had his own friends. I could tell him anything, from problems with friends, to homework. He was my best friend. Also, being the outcast at school I really needed his support.

2 weeks after he ran away from home I was desperate, so desperate that I... I ran away from home too. I packed all my necessities like clothes, food, my laptop and whatever else I could fit in. I didn't take my phone because I knew my parents would try and contact me.

I left at night, when my parents were asleep and I stayed on the streets, it's not like I could afford anything. For a whole year I searched for Alexander, I look every where. I walked for hours on end, to find absolutely nothing. I guess after a year I started to give up, plus no one had found me. It was weird because every day I would see my face on lamp posts and trees. That's why I cut my hair short, so no one would recognise me.

So yeah, after a year of not having any clues, I decided to do something that I seriously regret. I had left home, meaning I had left school. There was no point in going back so I took matters into my own hands.

I-I joined the army. I joined the army. And Violet, I f*cking regret it. I saw things a 17 year old should never see. I saw my friends being blown up to pieces, I saw people being stabbed to death. It-it ruined me. I'll never be the same again.

I got injured really bad, I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to walk again. The doctors actually thought I'd be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. I guess I'm just lucky that I'm still walking now, and I'm really grateful of that. When I got back to the area I lived in, it brought back too many memories of suffering on the streets and searching for my brother, so I left. I had to ride with random people to find somewhere to stay, and finally I found myself here.

I lived on the streets again with only clothes. I also found Cooper alone on the streets without an owner so I took him in. I gave him as much food as possible, I think that's one of the reasons he trusts me so much now.

One day, when I was sitting on a curb trying to feed Cooper, a letter was dropped into my lap. I looked around to find the culprit but the streets were empty. I guess curiosity took over me, so I opened the letter. First I read the letter."

Sophie says, then reaches a hand into her pocket and pulls out a piece of paper with cursive writing. She hand it to me, and I intently read.

Dear Sophie,

I know this is probably a huge surprise, and I understand if you hate me. Trust me, I do. Throughout the time I haven't seen you, I've been doing really well. I've been earning a lot of money in the company I work at, and I know how you left home to look for me. You see, Soph, I just had to leave. I hope you get that. I saw how you're living, and it breaks my heart.

You're probably angry at how I didn't approach you, but I just couldn't. I felt so guilty, I just couldn't put you through that. I couldn't put you through the hope that I might stay, because I can't. I can't stay. I can't tell you specifically why, but you'll find out, soon enough.

I love you very much Sophie, remember that.

Lots of love, your brother, Alexander. xx

I fold the paper once I'm done and hand it back to a quiet Sophie. I motion for her to continue, so she clears her throat and carries on.

"After reading that letter, I put my hand back in the envelope and I took out something that changed my life forever. 3 million pounds. You don't even know how shocked I was. I could buy a house, pay for some stuff for the house. Food, supplies, dog necessities. I was so scared that it was all a dream, that I would wake up on the streets again. I didn't like the streets, they were dodgy and I had plenty of drunk idiots approaching me. It was- it was disgusting.

Anyway, I bought this house and everything else and started a new life. I tried to forget about everything, but that all came crashing down yesterday, at the bar. I had been at home, minding my own business when I got a letter. I had opened it, and the information it had told me practically killed me. I don't even know who posted it, but Jesus did it scare me."

She says, then takes another piece of paper out from her pocket.

"I keep the two letters with me all the time, I just can't bring myself to letting them go." She explains, then gives me the second letter.

On the paper is only one sentence.

Alexander Sallustio committed suicide on this day.

A picture was stapled to it, and I gasped when I looked at it. A boy who looked rather like Sophie lay limp on the ground in his own blood. Around him, the words in blood stood prominent against his pale skin.

It read : I wasn't happy.

I slowly give the photo and letter back to Sophie and watch as a tear escapes her eye.

"H-he left home because he a-argued with my parents. They didn't trust him to live alone, they didn't trust him at all. I guess that's what forced him to run, so he could prove a point."

She whispers, wiping away a tear.

"I miss him so much Violet. He would have helped me get over the war."

I quickly shuffle over to her and give her a long hug. "It's okay Sophie, it's okay." I whisper as she sobs into my shoulder.

I suddenly realise how lucky I am, I may have lost my parents, but they didn't really love me. If they had shown any affection towards me, then maybe it would have been worse, because I would have the memories of their love lodged into my mind. But it wasn't like that.

Sophie was going through so much pain because her brother loved her, and she would remember the good times every day of her life. With the addition of the horrors of the war on Sophie's shoulders, her life was at a low point, and I was aiming to help her.

Heya chicas! (Or chicos - if there are guys reading this. Lol.)

Anyways... I updated twice in one day! I'm so incredibly awesome, aren't I!?

I feel sorry for this fictional character Sophie. (Not the real soph_sall )

Hope you liked this chapter. Sorry it was such a filler, I had to write this stuff though so I thought now's the time.

Vote, comment and keep reading.

Gracias xx