22

"I'm sorry I couldn't get here any earlier, pet" said Cheryl's mum as she settled down in her living room with a cup of tetley.

"It's okay mam, you're here now" she replied. She watched her mum sip at her tea and she looked at her watch.

"Where's Kimberley?" the older Geordie asked, looking around the house. Kimberley had left the house to pop to the shops. Luckily it was a cold day so she could wear a huge coat as the public didn't know still about her pregnancy. She was coming up to seven months gone now and it was showing a lot more.

As Kimberley was quite fit, always working out for tours and just generally, she didn't show as much as others would. Still, she was quite big so she took a large bag with her as well in case someone recognised her through her over-sized glasses.

Cheryl got a little bit upset about Kimberley wanting to go to the shops alone, but she understood that she would definitely draw attention to her more if she was there.

Joan couldn't visit any sooner than now because of her fiancé had to have an operation and she stayed with him until he had recovered well enough for her to leave his side.

"She's just gone to the shops, she should be back soon" replied Cheryl, looking at the time again.

"So what was it you wanted to tell me?" she asked. Cheryl wondered if she should wait for Kimberley to get back or not. She thought it maybe would be easier to tell her now, just the two of them.

"Well, you know a few years back, what I told you... you know, about Kimberley and I" she started. Joan nodded and smiled, having a feeling she knew where the conversation was heading.

"Go on" she said.

"We're trying again, properly this time" she said, watching her mother's reaction to the news.

"How long have you been together?" she asked. Her face showed Cheryl she was happy with the news. Her mother had known how happy she was when she had spent a few nights with Kimberley before and how unhappy she ended up with Ashley.

"Five months" she said, Joan looked surprised.

"And everything is still going well?" asked the older woman. Cheryl instantly smiled even more.

"Perfect" she grinned. "There's something else though" she started.

"What's that?" Joan asked.

"Do you think of Kimberley as, like, another daughter now?" she asked. She wondered if it was a bit sudden, but hoped her mum would accept it easier as they had been together for five months now.

"She always has been, but I guess more now, yeah" she nodded while saying her words. Cheryl tried to hold back her smile as she spoke.

"How do you feel like having another g..." Cheryl stopped when there was a knock at the door. "Perfect timing" she smiled. "Come on" she said to her mum as she lead her into the hallway to answer the door.

She opened the door to Kimberley who was carrying her bag at her side. She looked surprised when she saw Joan. Cheryl closed the door behind Kimberley and began to unbutton her coat.

"Mam..." Cheryl started as she got to the bottom of Kimberley's coat. Before she opened it, she turned to her mother. "How do you feel like having another grandson?" she questioned, opening Kimberley's coat and revealing the big bump underneath.

Cheryl and Kimberley both looked at Joan as she put her hand over her mouth. They saw tears fill her eyes as she made her way over to Kimberley and took her into a hug. Joan then broke one arm away and put it around Cheryl. The three of them stood there in the hallway for a while before Joan felt like letting go.

"A grandson?" she asked to confirm as they walked back into the living room together. Cheryl poured Joan a glass of wine.

"Yep, a grandson" smiled Kimberley while drinking her cup of tea that Cheryl made her.

"How far gone are you? You're huge!" Joan stated, still looking at the bump.

"Nearly seven months" she replied.

"How have you kept it a secret from the press?" wondered Joan.

"I'm lucky Suck My Pop finished when it did, I've not had anywhere else to go lately" she answered. Joan nodded her head slowly.

"When are you going to let people know?" she asked.

"Very soon, we'll have to, there is no way I am going to miss Cheryl's performance in two weeks" Kimberley said. Cheryl took hold of her hand.

"You don't have to come you know babe" Cheryl said to her, thinking about how heavily pregnant she is now, she'd get heavier in a few weeks.

"I want to" she replied before taking a sip of her tea.

"I'll have to find some way to repay you then" she smiled in appreciation then immediately blushed at her own words when Kimberley choked a little on her tea. She looked at her mum who was trying not to laugh.