16

"Miss Walsh" the nurse addressed Kimberley and nodded politely to Cheryl who was sitting nervously next to her.

"Yes" she confirmed.

"Would you like to come through?" she smiled and started walking into the room. Kimberley and Cheryl stood up and held hands as they followed the nurse.

"Me heart is beating out me chest, babe" Cheryl said quietly, yet exictedly as they entered the room. Kimberley nodded in agreement that her heart was beating wildly as well.

"If you could just pop on the bed here and lift up your shirt for me" said the nurse while she organised the equipment for the scan. Cheryl stood next to the bed and held Kimberley's hand. The older girl looked up and her with a smile. Cheryl smiled back down at her and stroked the hair which was spread out beneath her.

"Right Miss Walsh, this will feel a little cold but try to relax" the nurse said. Kimberley flinched as the gel came into contact with her belly. All three of them looked at the monitor and waited to see the baby.

They all started to see the outline of the baby and Cheryl let out a sob. Kimberley turned to look at her as she knelt down next to the bed and continued to look at the baby on the screen. She looked at Kimberley to see her looking back at her. The younger girl placed a soft kiss on her forehead before they both looked back at the monitor.

"Well, you are well on your way to becoming a mother, Miss Walsh" said the nurse as she watched the two girls and how close they really were. Kimberley smiled widely at her.

"Can you see the heart beat?" asked Cheryl. The nurse nodded and moved the equipment around a bit.

"There, do you see it?" said the nurse. Cheryl let out a little squeal.

"Yes!" she said, not being able to keep the smile off her face.

"Do you want to know the sex of your baby?" asked the nurse, directing the question at Kimberley. Kimberley turned to look at Cheryl while they had a conversation through their eyes.

"Not just yet, thank you" said Kimberley. "At the next scan though" she added. "Is that okay?" Kimberley asked Cheryl.

"Yeah, we need to tell people first" she replied.

"Would you like copies of the scans?" the nurse asked.

"Yes please, we want some for our families" replied Kimberley. It then dawned on her that she had not told her family. She then realised she must have been as far gone as her sister was.

"Sally's going to kill me for stealing her thunder" giggled Kimberley as she sat up in the bed and got out.

"Oh God, yeah" said Cheryl, remembering also Sally was pregnant. The two girls looked at the nurse who was looking back at them both.

"My sister is nearly four months gone as well" Kimberley answered to the nurses questioning stare.

"Oh dear" the nurse joked. She handed Kimberley a number of copies of the scans and told them she'd book another appointment for Kimberley in eight weeks.

Kimberley and Cheryl left the building with big smiles on their faces, their arms linked together as they walked to the car.

"I need to phone my mum when I get back, I need to tell her, my sisters and Adam. I also need to tell them about us" she said as they got in the car. Cheryl insisted on driving now that Kimberley was fairly far gone now.

"I still need to get me mam around to tell her. Whenever she can though after Paul has his operation" said Cheryl, talking about her mothers fiancé as she drove back home.

"Adam's going to be gutted about us being together" Kimberley giggled half-jokingly. Adam was crushed when him and Cheryl had to end their relationship, though it had been many years now and he was now happy in a long term relationship.

"I reckon he'll be happy for us both" she replied, thinking about how it would go when he found out.

"I agree" Kimberley said before climbing out of the car and walking up the path to her house.

"Are you going to call them now?" asked Cheryl as she unlocked the door and closed it behind her. She took the scan pictures off Kimberley and sat down, looking at them.

"Yeah, I better do. Could you put a set in an envelope for Justin please babe?" asked Kimberley, refering to the scan pictures.

"Yeah sure" smiled Cheryl. "What about your mum?" she asked.

"Yeah do one for her as well" replied Kimberley while fiddling with her mobile.

"Rightio" said Cheryl. "Hope it goes well" she said about the phone call. Kimberley took a deep breath and pressed the call button as she made her way up the stairs for a bit of privacy.