chapter 21

Chapter 21

*SANTANA MILLER*

Another week has passed and it’s been good. Craig and I are fine now; I mean we’re on good terms. He’s visiting us every now and then like usual. I think Bret and Craig are closer now. On the other hand, him and Brain are still awkward towards each other. I think that they really just need more time, and I understand since this is partially my fault.

Today is the game of the Red Tigers, that’s our team, and the Black Scorpions of Victorian Academy. As we had already planned, Carmen and I went to see the game. One of the reasons that I came was because of the issue that Darren said with the team captain. I would really want to know what happen between the two of them. Carmen and I found a seat, second row from the front. I search for Brian and I found him sitting on a chair with a towel around his neck. He looks so serious and focused.

“Hey I did some research about the guy that Darren told us about, and boy he is one fat meat.” Carmen said.

“What are you saying?”

She rolls her eyes. “The one that Brian had an issue with?” She said wiggling her eyebrows.

“Yeah what about him?”

She made a flip with her hair. “His name is Damian Richards, and he’s 6’1 but Brian is still 2 inch taller.” I roll my eyes and chuckle. “He is a son of a doctor and an engineer so he’s also rich which is already given since he is studying at Victorian Academy.” She said.

“Wow, how did you even get that information?”

“Duh? Happen to hear about Facebook?”

“He put all his info on Facebook?” I said in disbelief.

“Yeah, so vain right?”

“Totally.” I agree.

“And here’s the bigger news. Damian became Brian’s enemy because of a girl.” I raise my eyebrow. “That’s right you should raise that brow of yours. That Damian guy stole Brian’s girlfriend, or more like first love.”

“First Love?”

“Yes, you heard that right. If I’m not mistaken her name was Criselda Harrell.”

“Was?”

“Yeah, she died the same year that Brian broke up with her. That’s two years ago so that make’s Brian fifteen years old.” Carmen said.

“He fell in love that young?”

“Obviously. And ever since, they didn’t talk about her nor became friends with Damian again.”

“They were friends?” I ask.

“Brian studied at Victorian Academy before he transfers here.”

Wow, so much information about him that I didn’t know about. “Don’t tell me, you all got that on Facebook?”

Carmen smirks. “Haven’t you heard about ‘the walls have ears?’ There are actually students that knows about some stuff and I just stitched it together and come up with that conclusion.” She said.

“Conclusion? You mean you’re not sure about all of it?”

“Well, the Criselda thing, it’s ninety percent. But Brian being in Victorian Academy is a hundred percent sure.” She said.

I nod and took a deep breath. Now I’m totally curious about all this. Brian fell in love with that girl and she’s dead. How did she die? Does Craig know about this? A loud buzzer fills the air with its noise. Both teams went to the center of the court and the crowd starts to cheer.

“Go Red Tigers! Rawr!” Carmen yells and I laugh at her rawr.

I cheered with the rest of the crowd. I never thought that watching basketball could be this intense. First quarter passed like in a flash. The Scorpions were leading with five points. Brian looked pissed.

I took deep breath. “Go Brian!” and let out with that. People looked at me, even Carmen is shock with what I did. He turns his head to me. He gave me a smile and a wink. Some girls gasp, Brian and I chuckle.

“Do your best.” I mouth.

“I will.” He mouth back.

There’s another buzz and second quarter is up. This time Mario went in the court and Brian is bench out. Darren came in too.

“Go Mario! Go Darren!” Carmen shouts. “Wooohhh”

Having a super hyper supporter sitting next to you, you’ll just have to be super hyper too.

“Go Red Tigers!” I shouted.

The scorpions had the ball. Darren is trying to guard the opponents. The guy named Damian is so aggressive.

“Hey that’s a foul!” Carmen said.

Mario took the commands to the others. They are heavily guarded. Mario sees a chance and ran to the three point line and makes an attempt to tie the score. He throws the ball towards the ring. Everything was in slow motion. All eyes were on the court, all focus was on the ball. Some players on the bench stood up. Gasps from girls and screams from the boys could be heard in every part of gym and then…. Three points!

“Yes! That’s what I’m talking about! Rawr!” Carmen said and cheers from the Red Tiger team filled the court.

“Cut out the rawr thing Carmen.” I said chuckling.

“I can’t help it. This game is so intense.” She said.

Second quarter finished. Everyone was talking about how dirty a certain player was and how good someone was and many more. The game is so intense.

*BRIAN HART*

This is nonsense. I can’t be benched out. I need to be in the court. I should be the one facing Damian in there. Coach told me to calm down. He said I was too aggressive, that it shows on how I play. Coach was right but I just can’t help myself. Seeing Damian again awaken all the anger that seemed like sleeping deep inside me.

“Coach I need to be out there.” I said.

He sighs. “Fine, but be careful, you already have three fouls. Remember, think before you move.” He said holding my shoulder.

“I will.” I said and sat back on the chair. “Good shot man.” I told Mario.

Another buzzer blew and that started the third quarter. Mario, Jesse, Darren, Declan and I enter the court. I went to the center for a jump ball and Damian is from the other team.

“Is she your girlfriend?” Damian asked smirking. I think he saw what happened earlier.

“Get your hands off her.” I said gritting my teeth.

“I’m not doing anything.” He bent his knees. “Let’s forget about the past dude. Move on, you have a new girl now… or are you just using her to replace Criselda?”

“You don’t have the right to mention her name you asshole.” I said and bent my knees.

He smirked at me. The referee blew a whistle and we both made a jump for the ball. I hit it first and Darren caught it. He passed it to Jesse and he made an attempt but fails to make points. The other team managed to get the rebound.

“Mario, number ten.” I said and he nods.

I am guarding Damian. I don’t like to admit it but he’s good. I should not go easy on him.

“She’s pretty by the way. She has pretty brown hair just like Criselda. No wonder you like her.” Damian said.

I shot him a deadly glare. I know he is just doing this to ruin my concentration. It’s actually an old tactic, but he just get on my nerves.

“Don’t listen to him!” Someone shouted. I search for the owner of the voice and I found Santee. “Don’t listen to that sick bastard!” She shouted again. Does she know something? “Win the game.” She said.

I smirked. “That’s my girl.” I said making sure that Damian could hear me.

“She’s quite tough.” He said.

“Brian!” Mario said and passes the ball to me.

I see an opening and pass through Damian. Now I back on my game. This is going to be mine. Santee believes in me. I just ignore everyone and keep on making scores. Our  team made some awesome score of 145 while the black Scorpions had 110.

“Cheers!” All of us said when we hit the lockers.

“That was totally awesome.” Darren said.

“Yeah you did a good job there.” Jesse said.

We are all in a festive mood when Mario calls me out to the corner of the room.

“What’s with the sudden change of mood out there? Damian was like pissing you off.” Mario asks.

“What do you mean?”

“You were aggressive at first.”

I smirked. “Well my girl has something to do with it.”

“You’re girl? Since when did you have a girlfriend?” he said.

Ops, I forgot that no one should know about us for now. “Oh, my sister,” I said.

“Santana?”

“Yeah, she’s quite a cheerleader.”

He chuckled. “Yeah she is. I heard her scream a couple of times, same with her friend.” He said.

“Carmen?” Narrow my eyes at him. “Do you like her?”

“Huh?” He said avoiding my eyes.

“You like Carmen.” I said.

What about Carmen?” Someone interrupts and it’s Darren.

“Perfect timing bud. Do you know if Carmen has a boyfriend?” I asked and Mario gave me a look.

“Why do you ask? Are you planning to hit on her?”  Darren asked raising an eyebrow and I saw a glimpse of jealousy.

I grinned. This man is totally into her too. Interesting. Mario and Darren, on Carmen? “Oh nothing, just don’t mind me.” I said and patted his shoulder.

I look at Mario who gets what I mean and then to Darren who’s totally confuse. I hurriedly took a shower and went outside. I came out with Darren and Mario.

“Hey tigers.” Carmen greeted us when we came out.

“Hey.” Mario said quite reserve, which is not him at all. That just means that my theory was right. He likes her.

“Hi.” Darren said. Now that I am aware of it, he’s actually blushing.

“Good game guys.” She said putting her arms around the boy’s shoulders, standing on her tiptoes because they are taller than her.

I chuckled inside. They are both blushing now. And this stupid girl Carmen doesn’t seem to have a clue. It’s kind of ironic because she notices everything when it comes to Santee and me.

“Hey, where’s Santee?” I asked.

“I think she’s in the comfort room.” She said.

“Okay, I’ll find her.” I said and Carmen grinned.

“I’ll find her too.” She said smirking. I know she’s teasing me.

“No thanks. I can find her alone. I’ll leave you three alone and see you at the party.” I said.

“Uhm, does that include me?” Carmen asks

I look at Mario and he shot me a glare that I think it means invite-her-to-the-party. “Yeah sure.” I said smiling. Carmen giggles. I waved at them and left. I still need to find Santee.

*SANTANA MILLER*

I went to the comfort room to freshen up. There are girls talking when I enter one of the cubicles.

“Have you seen number eight? He’s a total hottie.” A girl said

“Yeah I know! I think his name is Brian.” Another girl said.

“Wow, even his name sounds hot.” Another said and I chuckled inside.

I can’t blame them for admiring him that much, but sorry girls he’s mine. Thinking that he's mine made me blush. I went outside after washing my hands. I was looking for my comb in my bag when I bump into something hard that made me fall on the floor.

“Ow.” I said rubbing my butt.

“Sorry.” A guy said. I look up and it’s Damian. He reaches his hand and I took it. He pulls me strongly that I bump into his chest.

“Sorry.” I look up and now I can see him clearly. He looks… bright. He’s not as bright as Brian but enough to make me feel dizzy. My knees got weak.

“Are you okay?” He said and holds my arms.

“Ah yeah.” I said pulling my arm away from him.

“Are you sure?” he asked. He helped me to sit on one of the benches.

“Thanks.” I said.
A sudden silence came to our midst.

“So you’re Brian’s girlfriend?” he assumed. I looked at him. How did he know? “I’m one of his former friends.” He said like he knew what’s on my mind.

“I know, your Damian right?” I said.

A smirk appeared on his face. “Did he tell you about me?”

“Nope. I got from other source.” I said.

“Hmmm…. I wonder what else you know about me.” He said it like he wants me asks something.

“Well, I know about Criselda.” I said.

Another smirk played on his face. “So you know?”

“Not much, can you… perhaps tell me about her?”

He leans his face closer to mine. That made me dizzy, but I have to endure it, I need to know about Criselda. “I would love to, but I think you need to hear it from Brian himself.” He said like whispering.

“Santana!” someone shouts that made me startle. I look behind me and it’s Brian. He ran towards me and pushes Damian away. “Get away from her!”

“Relax we’re just talking. So your name is Santana?” Damian smiled at me.

Brian grabbed his collar. “Brian we just talked. Put him down.” I said.

“Listen to your girlfriend dude.” Damian said.

Brian glares at him and puts him down. “Don’t ever touch her again.” He told Damian and pulled me away.

I look back to Damian and he mouthed ‘See yah’ then smirked. What really happened between the two of them that made Brian so mad like this?

“Brian let go of me. It hurts.” I said but seems like he’s not listening. “Brian!” I exclaim and he stops.

“I’m sorry.” He said and running his hands through his hair. “I’m sorry Santee.” He cupped my face with his hands and leans his head to my forehead. “I just don’t want him to touch you. Don’t talk to him ever again. Don’t trust him.” He said.

“Brian, everyone is staring at us.” I said.

He let go. “Let’s go home.” He said.

“Yes, but we’ll talk about this.” I said and he nods.

Our way back home is silent. Dead silent. That made think. I really need to know what happen. Who’s Criselda? What relationship did they have? And how did she die?