Fifty-eight

MAGGIE'S POV

My body was stiff and I felt like I hadn't moved in days. I had a dull throbbing in my left leg. My mind was fuzzy and my eyes hurt like hell. I tried to move but was restrained.

"What the-" I croaked.

"Maggie!" I jumped at the sound of my name.

Slowly my vision came into play. "Sarah? What are you-"

"Maggie, you should lay back down." His voice was raspy and worn out. I looked at him with bleary eyes, even then I could see that he was beat.

"Sarah what are you-" and then it all came flooding back to me. Everything, the road, the shock, the pain, Tyler. Oh my god Tyler. "Tyler! Tyler?!" I called helplessly. "Where is he? Where's my boyfriend!? I need to see him! I need to know he's okay!"

"Maggie, breath. Calm down." She said this as if she were talking to a small child.

At that same moment my parents, along Sarah's all came filing in. "Oh thank god you're awake!" My mother hugged me tight, shooting pain into my body. I cried out and she jerked back. "I'm sorry baby, oh I'm so sorry."

"Where's Tyler? I need to see him now." I blinked. I was scared out of my mind. That look he had on his face before I blacked out was etched and burned in my memory, haunting me for good.

"Maggie." Sarah started slowly, tears in her eyes.

"What? Where us he? Is he okay?" No one said anything. "Is he okay!?" I screamed and they jumped, all sharing hesitant glances. "Somebody say something! Where the HELL is Tyler!?"

"Maggie." Sarah sniffed. "Please, just, just-"

"No! I want to see him! Get me out of this bed now!" I could feel the solid cast on my left leg. My heart rate had picked up and my chest hurt from the effort it was taking.

"Maggie, baby, I'm so sorry." My father sniffed, his eyes were rimmed in red.

"Sorry for what?! What aren't you guys telling me?!" I looked between the faces of all my loved ones, they were filled with remorse and hurt, their faces were hallowed and dunked from restless nights of sleep.

"Maggie...Tyler, he...he didn't...make it." Tammy cried softly. Sarah buried her face in her dad's shirt and began bawling her eyes out again.

I blinked unbelievingly. "What? No, no you're lying! Don't you dare lie to me! He was here! He was...he was right next to me! You're lying! You're all lying!" I cried.

"Maggie." My father was the first to step forward, he was trying to comfort me, but I refused to let him do so. I wouldn't believe them. Tyler wasn't gone.

"No! No!" I shook my head and fought against my dad. "You're lying!" I blundered like a baby. My heart was in agony and I actually thought I was going to die from the pain of it. "He's not gone!" I continued to fight hime while he continued to try and hold me back. I fell into him, crying my heart out, crying my everything out.

What the were saying just wasn't true, it couldn't be. He would never leave me, he promised me he wouldn't. We were supposed to be together no matter what, even if he was heading to the north without me. I was going to do whatever it took to keep him. "Tyler!" I moaned and cried, my attempts become feeble, all the will from my body gone. I couldn't fight any more, I didn't have the strength to do so.

"Tyler." I sobbed. "Come back to me, please."

******

My eyes had become pretty accustomed to starting at my painted walls. I felt like I hadn't blinked or slept in days. Tyler's funeral was in just two days. There was a numbness in my body, a void. I wanted to feel his arms around me again, to kiss his lips, and to run my hair through his blonde hair again. I wanted him back, I needed him back. He was the only person that could help me right now.

I still didn't want to believe it was real, but his family from Italy was here, and there was an unmistakable sorrow hanging in the air.

I couldn't even remember the last time I ate. What had it been, two, three days? Who knew, who cared? I didn't. The sharp pain in my stomach let me know that this was all my reality. My boyfriend was gone do to idiot spring breakers who were drunk and on the wrong side of the road.

But why us? Why Tyler? There were at least ten other cars in the same area as us, and we were the ones that had to suffer, that had to pay. I was the one without a boyfriend, I was the one who lost a best friend, a love. Why could I never have just one good thing? What had I ever done that was so terribly wrong to deserve this?

I couldn't even sleep comfortable because of the stupid cast on my leg. Somehow, I'd gotten of with just a broken leg and back pain, yet my love had paid the ultimate price. Tyler's side of the car had been hit spot on, he'd taken the brute of the impact while I received the after math.

I couldn't even cry anymore. I had no tears left. Now I was just left with an emptiness. An emptiness so vast, it hurt to even think about.

There was a light knock on my door. "Maggie?" It was my mother. She came and sat down on the bed next to me, being careful as to not jostle the bed. "I have good news baby."

Unless Tyler was back, which I highly doubted, there was no good news. She waited for me to say something, but of course I didn't. "Hunter's here. He just got in."

I looked up at her and then did my best to turn on my side, ignoring her. She thought that was good news? No, that was not good news, not good news at all. Did she really think that I wanted to be reminded as to how I lost two good things just like that? Well let me tell you, I sure didn't. I hated Ellie and the baby shed given birth to, they were the ones who took Hunter from me. And now I hated this world and stupid drunk idiots, they were the ones who took Tyler from me.

"Go away." I bit.

"Maggie-"

"I said get out!" I screamed, the pain was coming back, and I was on the verge of crying again, the came out as agonized whimpers because I had nothing left to cry.

"Oh Maggie." My mother began to cry as she hugged my body gently. "I'm sorry baby, I'm so sorry."

"Sorry wont bring him back." I said venomously.

"It'll get better baby, I promise it will."

"Never make a promise you can't give." I said numbly. I was hurting deeply, and simply breathing was killing me. "Where's Sarah? I want to see Sarah." I sniffed. She was the only one I could really relate to right now.

"She's with Amanda." My mom sniffed. Amanda was twice as heartbroken as I was. She's losses her only child and I couldn't even begin to, nor did I want to, imagine what she was going through.

"Please, I need to be alone." I clutched at my chest and the gap that was now there forever.

My mom left my room quietly, closing the door behind her. I wiped at my eyes and reached for my phone, dialing the one number I would never forget. It went straight to voicemail, and for thirty seconds, I heard his beautiful voice all over again. I shut my eyes as the tears began to take over again.

******

"Tyler!" I laughed "Stop, that tickles!" I giggled happily.

"What? This?" He said innocently as he hugged me from behind, burying his face in my neck.

"Yes silly." I smiled.

He held me tighter as I relished in his embrace. "I love you Mary-Margaret." He whispered in my ear.

I turned around so that I was facing him, placing a sweet kiss upon his lips. "I love you too Tyler Giordano."

"Maggie?" I knew it was him the moment I heard his voice. He'd pulled me from my flashback of Tyler and I standing right here in this same room.

"Go away." He'd interrupted our sweet moment. I was slowly losing my voice from all the screaming and crying I'd done.

"I just needed to see for myself if you were actually okay." He said quietly.

"Well I'm not. So just get the hell out." I said bitterly.

He came and sat down next to me. I wasn't facing him, but I could hear the sadness in his voice. "I'm sorry Mag, I know it hurts."

"You don't know anything." I bit.

"Believe me, I know what it feels like to be left alone...to feel so hopeless and helpless." His voice was small and faint.

"No you don't." My voice broke.

"Yes Maggie, I do." He rested a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Then how much does it hurt?" If he truly knew what it felt like, he would know.

"Like...you're so shocked, for a moment you can't even believe it's real, that actually happened. You feel so alone, so incredibly helpless. And you're afraid because you don't know what to do, or what you're going to do next. It hurts straight to your heart, because everything you thought you knew, suddenly changes, and then...you're just tossed into a new reality, your own reality."

I turned on my side to look at him with tears in my eyes. His face was filled with sorrow and the same emptiness I felt. Somehow, he'd hit it all spot on, every detail. I broke down, crying right into him.

"Why Hunter? Why did he leave me? He promised me he wouldn't, and, and he left me!" I was mad at him for giving up, why would he do this to me? I wanted him, I needed him.

"I'm sorry Maggie, I am so sorry." I held me until I could cry no more.

I sniffed, still hurting in the inside. "Is Sarah back yet?"

He shook his head. "Tammy really needs someone right now."

I wiped at my eyes. "Howling have you been here?"

"I just got in about half an hour ago." He said sadly.

"What about school?"

He frowned as he wiped at one of my tears. "Family is more important."

"And Ellie and the baby?"

His face saddened even more as his eyes became steely. "That's a story for another day. But...Emily, my daughter, she's here. You could meet her I'd you'd like?"

I chewed my bottom lip. Did I really want to? That baby was the main reason I lost him. If we never broke up, Tyler and I would have never started dating, and if we never started dating, we wouldn't have gone to dinner to celebrate six months together, if we'd never gone to dinner, Tyler would still be here.

I shook my head. "I don't think I can." I sniffed, the threat of tears on its way again.

But I was reminded in how the wake of a death, there was life. A small, precious life that had been created by Hunter himself. I sighed and squeezed my eyes tightly shut. "Okay."

He rubbed my arm before getting up and disappearing for a moment, returning moments late with a small little being that I could have mistaken for a baby doll.

"Maggie, I want you to meet Emily." He said quietly as he sat down next to me. She was sleeping peacefully as he starred down at her tiny face in awe. "She's the only thing that can get me through this all." He breathed quietly.

I tried to sit myself up, but he had to help me, holding his daughter firmly in one hand while helping to support me with the other.

"Thanks." My voice cracked.

"Want to hold her?" He asked gently.

I nodded, amazed at how small she was. He passed her over to me gently, making sure to support her head. She was so light and smelled like baby powder.

A tear slid down my cheek. This baby , this tiny, small being, had a beating heart, she was alive and well, and strong, she living, letting me know that there was hope. I didn't know what kind of hope, but hope nonetheless.