Forty-three

"Tyler!" I squealed as I ran into his open arms. My best friend was finally home. I was entirely surprised to find him on my doorstep, he was a whole week early!

He laughed and wrapped his arms around my waist. "Hey"

"Hi." I smiled.

"Hey hi." We laughed in unison. I felt like I hadn't seen him in years instead of weeks, so much had been going on in my life.

I pulled him inside and we ran upstairs to my room, calling a quick hello to my parents as they looked on in amusement, we were like two year olds whenever we were around each other.

We plopped down on my bed beside each other. "Ugh, you don't know how good it feels to be back here."

I scoffed. "I'm so ready to leave here its not even funny."

He smirked. "Two different perspectives huh?"

I rolled my eyes with a smile. "It's just that, my life has been...extremely hectic, I miss its old simplicity and normalcy." I sighed.

It had been about two weeks since the whole Walmart thing, and there was a tense feeling in the air. We'd told our parents about my run in with Sarah's attacker. It was a lot for all of us to take in. They were going to press charges, but for some odd reason, they hadn't yet.

Aside from that, my father had been treating me like a complete child. He was constantly questioning me and making sure that I wasn't spending "unnecessary quality time" with my boyfriend. He honestly thought that we'd slept together that night. I mean come on, his parents were home!

I was so glad school was just around the corner, my summer had been so hectic, school seemed like the only normal thing.

"Well, I'm still pretty normal aren't I?" He smiled.

I grinned and leaned my head on his chest. "Thank god."

******

We spent a good majority of our day together today. Hunter had spent most of his time getting things together. He would be leaving next Saturday. I had to constantly tell myself to not think about it. We'd spent just about all the time we could manage.

Believe it or not, school was starting for me Monday, this was my final week of summer break. It had all gone by so fast, and as crazy as mine had been, I was glad we were going back. The fact that Sarah would be coming home on Wednesday made it that much better. We had been apart for far too long.

All of this was bitter sweet, I mean, where would Hunter and I stand? Was long distance even an option with him being six hours away and with a kid on the way? The chances were slim to nill.

Staying positive wasn't really an option. I mean come on, what person in their right my could be excited about the possible expiration date on their relationship?!

The sun was already setting when I finally got the chance to see him. My dad had me on some stupid "Hunter time" curfew. I couldn't see him after nine. It was stupid and I was so ready to put my foot down. I mean come on,VHS was treating me like a kid still, and for nothing. Hunter and I hadn't done anything that night, but my father wasn't buying it. I was surprised he hadn't killed him yet.

"Hunter!" I buried my face in his chest as he wrapped his arms around me. I was going to miss his familiar scent.

"Mags." He chuckled. "What's wrong, you're acting like we haven't seen each other in years."

"That's what it feels like." I mumbled.

"Hey," he sat down on the couch and patted the spot next to him. "Talk to me love."

I sat down and rested my head on his shoulder. "I just...don't want you to leave." I sighed.

"Love, we have an entire week left with each other." He said quietly.

"Yeah, but you're gonna leave sooner or later, and most likely with her."

He frowned. "Mags,"

"Hunter summer is over, that kind of means that we are too."

"Wait, what? Where is this coming from?"

I sighed. "Think about it Hunter, how great are the chances of us actually lasting? You're gonna be back on campus with the girl having your first kid, I'm gonna be stuck six hours away in high school. This, what we had, it was just a stupid summer fling." I was standing now, and my words had came out a little harsher then intended.

Why would I say something like that, I didn't mean it, but it was the only way of protecting myself from the oncoming heartbreak, I couldn't let him be the one to realize that this wouldn't work and break things off, it would devastate me.

"Maggie, you know that is not true." He breathed.

"Isn't it though Hunter? I mean seriously, how could this ever work?" I waited for answer, but nothing came. I nodded. "That's what I thought, it can't." I wiped at my eyes and turned to go back home.

"Maggie, wait, where are you going, why are you trying to shut me out all of a sudden?"

"You should have known this was coming Hunter. How could you not."

"Maggie because I told you I was willing to make this work and I mean it. What so now you think because there are a few obstacles in our way that I'm just gonna throw away how I feel about you?" He caught me by my hand and twirled me around to face him. "Mary-Margaret Olivia Spivey, I love you too much to ever think of letting you go. We will make this work, do you hear me? The world could be turned upside down and I'd still do what ever it takes to keep you right here beside me. Forever." He said softly as he brushed a hand across my cheek.

I sniffed and hugged him around his waist as he wrapped his arms around me. I was scared, I didn't want to lose him, not did I ever want to get hurt. Our relationship had been far from easy, which only proved that we were more then meant to be