Twenty

I slept the entire ride, worn out for all the crying I did. When we got back the sun had already gone down. I reapplied my makeup before going back inside.

I needed to talk and see my best friend. There was a lot on my mind, a lot I still needed to get off my chest. I was elated and confused all at the same time. Hunter helped me take my things to my place and then I went next door with him so that I could talk to Sarah.

"Hey! How was the trip?" Tammy exclaimed. She and Matt were siting at the table playing cards.

"Uh pretty good. Have you seen Ellie?" Hunter said in a distracted voice.

"She's upstairs in your room." Hunter kissed his mom's head and made for his room. My eyes followed after him. "Maggie dear, did you hear me?"

"Huh? Oh, um, no, I'm sorry, what'd you say?" My mind was pretty occupied.

"Did you enjoy yourself?" She smiled sweetly.

"Oh, yeah...of course. Hunter's really nice." That was a major understatement.

We heard a shuffling of feet as Hunter came down the stairs, pulling Ellie along with him.

"What's this all about Hunter?"

"Just hold on a sec okay. Mom, is dad home?"

"Yes, he's in the parlor watching the game."

"Hey dad could you come in here a second?!" He called as he walked down the hall, seemingly in a rush. Now I was just as confused as Ellie in his mom.

His father followed him back asking him about our trip. "Yeah, it was great. Look, I have something to tell you guys." He said in a rush. His was moving around a lot and seemed really rushed.

"Well can it wait? I-"

"No, no it can't, it can't wait." He breathed. My heart was starting to pound. What was he doing? His father sighed and pulled out a chair beside his wife.

"What is it son?"

Hunter took a deep breath and dragged his hands down his face. "Mom, dad, I'm in love."

Ellie laughed and came and wrapped her arms around him. "Well of course you are silly."

He sighed and shook his head, removing her arms from around him. "No Ellie, not with you."

She looked at him with her eyes squinted and a confused look on her face. "I'm sorry, what did you just say?"

His parents looked between each other with surprised looks on their face. "Uh, Matt. Could you, excuse us for a moment please." His dad asked. Matt gladly got up from his awkward spot at the table. "Son, what are you talking about?"

Sarah came prancing into the kitchen, slowing down when she sensed the tension in the air.

"I said I'm in love, and Ellie, I really hate saying this, but it's not you."

"Oh god." Sarah gasped. She came and stood next to me. I was still standing off to the side watching this unfold. "What is he doing?!" She whispered in a rush.

"I have no clue." I squeaked.

"What the hell are you trying to say?!" She demanded.

He turned to face her. "Look, you're great and all, but...I'm starting to see the other side of you, the real you. You're nothing like the girl I fell in love with on campus. To be honest, well...you're really shallow, and you're bleeding me dry."

Her mouth fell open with the rest of ours. "Are you...BREAKING UP WITH ME?!" She yelled.

He frowned. "Listen, you're great, and beautiful, but...you're just not the one for me." He said truthfully.

"Ergh! Are you out of your effing mind?! This!" She pointed at her ring finger. "This is an ENGAGEMENT ring! An engagement ring that you picked out!"

"You." He said sheepishly.

"What?!" She yelled.

"It's an engagement ring that you um," he cleared his throat. "Picked out." He corrected.

"Ugh! You're insane! I'm going to give you a moment to calm down and realize what you are saying before you make biggest, most idiotic mistake over your like okay." She smiled and smoothed out his shirt as he rolled her eyes. She turned on her heel and walked out the front door, slamming it behind her.

Everyone was quiet for a long moment. Tammy finally spoke. "Well...if it's not Ellie then...who is it?" She said with her eyebrows pushed together.

Hunter turned to me, his beautiful eyes falling on mine. I had been terrified up until that point. He was here, which meant everything was going to be okay. He took my hand in his and pulled me closer to him.

"It's Maggie...Maggie's the one I'm in love with