Fifty-two

"Look, Maggie, I know your upset, but you can't possibly just let him leave and not even say goodbye!" Sarah was currently trying to drag me downstairs to where her brother would be heading off back to campus soon. It was funny how time changed things.

"I think I'll pass." I said stubbornly.

"He wants to see you Mag, stop being such a prick and go kiss him goodbye." She said with annoyance.

"Look, if you came up here to talk me into seeing him, it's not going to work Sarah. I told you, we broke up, and seeing him is only going to remind me of that." I sniffed. "My heart can't take the sight of him right now."

Her face softened and I could clearly see the sympathy on her face. "Look, I know you guys are both hurting, but I you really going to let him leave on unresolved issues."

"We resolved it by breaking up." I said flatly.

She sighed. "Maggie, there's no telling when you guys will see each other again."

My heart folded at this. Was I really going to just let him leave and not even say goodbye? This was one of the moments that I had dreaded all summer, and now it was here. I couldn't turn my cheek on him and act as if I still had ample amounts of time to get over whatever it was I was feeling and take him back. I didn't have that luxury, it was a now or never moment, and I had to suck up my pride.

I breathed an unsteady breath. "Alright."

Sarah sighed in relief. "Thank goodness. I thought I was going to have to hear you wallow in misery for the rest of my life."

I scowled. "Don't get any ideas, I'm just saying goodbye."

She rolled her eyes as she dragged me over to her house. Everyone was in the living room saying their goodbyes, including Ellie. I hung back a little, grabbing on to Sarah's arm and holding her back too.

"You guys be careful on the drive back up you hear me." Tammy said firmly.

Something in me broke. They were leaving together? Why hadn't he told me this change of plans? Last I checked, Ellie's parents were bringing her home. Oh wait, I'd almost forgot, I wasn't his girlfriend any more. He no longer had to tell me anything.

Then it was settled. I was going to forget about Hunter Nathaniel Simpson. It seemed as of he was already doing so, after only two days apart. What had changed in 48 hours between the two of them that had Hunter and Ellie riding back together? Why did this new thought hurt so much?

I made a swift turn on my heel before they could spot me out. Sarah quickly caught on and grabbed me by my hand.

"Oh no you don't." She breathed. "Party's here!" She said loudly, her voice echoing through the foyer as she literally dragged me towards the living room. I stood upright and began blushing like a fool when everyone turned to face us. Our parents raised they eyebrows.

Hunter seemed surprised to see me. I felt a large lump in my throat as I contemplated running away in shame.

He cleared his throat quietly and I averted my eyes. Ellie stood close by him, not exactly holding him, but close enough to feel his warm breath whenever he spoke.

"Oh hey! Guess what everyone!? I made cookies!" Sarah said excitedly, having everyone follow her awkwardly towards the kitchen. Ellie hesitated before she was forcibly dragged out by Sarah.

Hunter and I remained on opposite sides of the room, neither one of us daring to close the space.

He cleared his throat again. "Thanks for um...actually coming to say goodbye." His voice was low and his eyes wouldn't meet mine.